Westport Reserve report 2/1/21 (plus lagoon pier report)

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Westport Reserve report 2/1/21 (plus lagoon pier report)

Post by Leonard » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:09 pm

Hi all,

I decided I wanted to catch a snook for the first time as they look like awesome fish, so I headed out to port Melbourne today to try and get one. I noted that there are a lot of reports and YouTube vids of people catching them adjacent to Webb dock in port Melbourne.

I caught a few mullet under the Westgate from about 5:30-7:30am to use as live bait. - I’m not too into soft plastic/lure fishing so I thought live bait would be the way to go. From there I headed out to one of the small rock walls protruding from Westport reserve adjacent to Webb dock. Taking advantage of the north wind, I ballooned out live mullet to just last the yellow posts. I also fished another rod closer in. Unfortunately, I didn’t manage anything while fishing from the rocks other than hearing one click of the drag and losing my bait.

From there I decided to take a walk and try lagoon pier for a bit. It was also very quiet with a couple of pinkies caught by a guy casting the furthest out from the bend to where there is apparently a reef. I managed to catch myself a little crab and with that, I headed home.

Would really love to get into some land based snook so if I can improve my approach please do let me know! Landbased from Westport reserve is quite pleasant and not particularly snaggy. I noticed one small patch of baitfish that all jumped out of the water well within casting distance, so I’m sure the fish are there. I hope this is of use to others who want to try the place out.

Leo

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: Westport Reserve report 2/1/21 (plus lagoon pier report)

Post by Seniorfisho » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:36 pm

Next time throw some Turtleback worms on and just slow retrieve back or hop it off the bottom all the way back, good luck

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:42 pm

I've caught some there, definitely possible. Just a bad luck you didn't get one or two.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:44 pm

Snook are a pretty **** fish. They hit hard initially but even the big ones fight like weed, and they have sharp chompers so they'll often cost you your lure.

I've found most of mine holding over the seagrass beds around Shoreham/Balnarring/Somers in WPB, and I got a bunch at Portland over weed and reef as well. I've seen them at night hanging around the Grammar School Lagoon in Geelong, maybe you can try the little jetty there.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Irishfisherman
Has liked: 237 times

Post by Irishfisherman » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Yeah 4liters is right about the way they fight, I caught a 70cm one at the start of the year and I'd say I've caught flathead that have fought harder. They do taste pretty good though, and they look cool as well. Hopefully you can get some next time.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:19 pm

I’ve caught plenty of them off princess pier on the left side at the end.
Cheers 👍🏻

Don Fisher
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Don Fisher » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:34 pm

Lures mate. Easier than using live bait. Although who knows you could get a mulloway so just keep having a crack that’s what it’s all about

Leonard
Has liked: 53 times

Post by Leonard » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:35 pm

Cheers all, I’ll definitely try again. I might even get some braid and try a plastic. Am surprised that princess pier has that many as there as it looks pretty barren and sandy either side. Then again, all that structure would compensate.

Tight lines!

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”