On the garfish hunt

Lagoon Pier, Kerferd Road Pier, Station Pier, Princes Pier, Webb Dock Port Melbourne
nooga27

On the garfish hunt

Post by nooga27 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:52 am

Hey guys,

I’m looking to find some garfish. I live in st kilda so my 5km is basically port Melbourne to Brighton.

Was wondering if anyone knows if they’re around port Melbourne at the moment? Have never caught gars and had a few donut sessions before lockdown so very keen to try and find them!
Red sky at night, Fisherman's delight

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Re: On the garfish hunt

Post by Kenle » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:53 am

20 years ago, I caught bag limits of garfish off the St Kilda pier about 2/3 of the way down on the left side but they can be caught on the right side too. Early morning with as little wind as possible, burley hard and constant using maggots or silverfish as bait. While you wait for the garfish to come you can always soak a couple bait rods, big pinkies, flatheads, silver trevaly and salmon are always cruising pass. Goodluck

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:20 pm

I used to catch plenty from st kilda, Kerford road and lagoon piers.
Haven’t given it a go for quite sometime from those areas though.
Good luck.

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:27 pm

make some burley get tuna oil white bread chook feed (if u have) and put it in a bucket

when u get there put a little water in the bucket and put the stuff above into it, mix it and if its too dry add more water

keep going until it breaks into a little cloud when it hits the water

burley hard to start, use maybe half your burley and then just drop your baits in then throw in a scoopful every now and then

at st kilda use longer line under the float generally :))

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:50 pm

nooga27 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:52 am
Hey guys,

I’m looking to find some garfish. I live in st kilda so my 5km is basically port Melbourne to Brighton.

Was wondering if anyone knows if they’re around port Melbourne at the moment? Have never caught gars and had a few donut sessions before lockdown so very keen to try and find them!
I’ll be honest don’t bother right now I’ve been down frankston and only gotten tiny ones and the odd big one not worth it give it three weeks and you should be good I’d suggest fishing for salmon right now anyway

Trident_Tackle

Post by Trident_Tackle » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:30 am

nooga27 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:52 am
Hey guys,

About 3 months ago I caught about 30 gars of stuff Kilda pier at the end. There were lots of other people catching as well they were good fish too.

Return to “Port Melbourne to St Kilda”