Frankston Pier 8/12/18

Carrum, Patterson River/Lakes, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea, Seaford, Frankston
Danners93

Frankston Pier 8/12/18

Post by Danners93 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:20 am

Woke up yesterday with the urge to wet a line so I drove to Frankston pier without checking any of the conditions. Arrived at the pier at 10.30am and it was looking like a nice day to go fishing. Shorts and T weather, warm but overcast, no wind and only 1 other fisherman on the pier. I’d had a reasonably big Friday night so decided to use bait so I could sit down and feel sorry for myself :rofl: a whole pilchard was sent out as well as a double paternoster rig with shiner hooks and pippi for bait. The other fisherman was catching some very solid yellow eye mullet from the other end of the pier on home made dough. I was getting a few inquiries but nothing solid enough to cause a hook up. The other guy was using two tiny hooks lightly weighted under a pencil float. I was using the smallest hooks I had but I should have gone much smaller had it been an option. After 2 hours and another 5 mullet the other fisherman got up and left so naturally being the only fisho on the pier I relocated to where he had been successful. I looked over the pier into the water and there was a school of about 30 to 40 mullet just hiding under the pier. I dropped my bait directly in front of them and for the next 2 hours the cat and mouse game began. They would all come out and pick at your bait to the point where I could literally see them eating it but couldn’t feel a thing on the line. Each time a little hit could actually be felt you’d have one chance to set the hook or the whole school would retreat back under the pier for a few minutes. I spent 4 hours constantly rebaiting, missing strikes and dropping fish and only managed to land one yellow eye mullet at 31cm but it still beat fishing for donuts! Changed the pilchard rig regularly and it didn’t get touched the whole time. I have a photo of the mullet but can’t work out how to upload it :( Anyway it was a good way to itch my fishing scratch and kill 4 hours at the same time. Will try a different location next time for sure though. Cheers! :water:

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Frankston Pier 8/12/18

Post by Mattblack » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:44 pm

That was a good read...cheers

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:08 pm

Not a bad size mullet mate :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Sounds frustrating but fun lol

Danners93

Post by Danners93 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Thanks guys :) Was certainly frustrating but I've been on a bit of dry streak fish wise so I was pretty stoked when I landed a fish even if it was the hardest mullet I've ever worked for haha

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Nice read, good on you for getting out and having a go.
I think I spent 3-4 hours at Frankston two Sundays ago and there was not a lot of acton then either. I have had some cracker sessions there during the poorer winter weather, but not so much on the nice sunny days.

A-a-ron
Has liked: 32 times

Post by A-a-ron » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:59 pm

Great report, good chuckle. Least you snagged one, sure a lot of us would have the same luck as you.

Return to “Chelsea to Frankston”