Whiting troubles

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
JasonB15

Whiting troubles

Post by JasonB15 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi all, first time poster...

Went out yesterday to WP chasing whiting but sadly only managed 3 good sized (40cm-45) along the middle spit and got me wondering is high tide a better time to be chasing whiting or do both have their advantages?? Last few times I've been its been coming into low tide and have had quite poor results.. :down:

Thanks

shazdoggg

Re: Whiting troubles

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:48 pm

Im no whiting expert but I prefer to fish the flats/shallow sandbanks on the run in tide and fish the channels and edges of channels on the runout. Most of my fishing is landbased and Ive only recently started targeting whiting in a boat in WP.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:55 pm

I wouldn't complain,3 at that size is good going.I was happy catching 2 last year at 42.I dont think tides make too much of a difference.If they are there they are there.

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:18 pm

from what i believe... fishing the rising tide.. fish come into shallows to get all the worms and little crabs etc as tide rises... and the ebb tide.. they go deeper to channels?? to get all the food flowing out off the shallows..

correct me if im wrong..
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

timbo42b

Post by timbo42b » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:52 pm

What depth were you in? I fished the middle spit yesterday just north of Hastings and got quite a few
I have always favored the ebb tide as the fish come off the banks into the channels.

JasonB15

Post by JasonB15 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi guys thanks for all the advice. Hopefully going out tomorrow afternoon just before high tide and see if I can do any damage.

Timbo was fishing about 6m in that little channel that runs through the spit.. Have had decent results there before but sadly not the other day.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:06 pm

I also fished the middle spit yesterday and didn't do well on the rising tide but did well on the ebb in 2 meters of water
We didn't do well till we managed to bag a squid or two for bait . As the old saying goes fresh is best and that proved itself yet again to us

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:09 pm

Seriously just move. The cut can fire or its ****. If nothing in 15 minutes just plain up anchor and move 100m. The amount of people I've passed so perplexed why I've moved 10 times in a few hours only to find a good bag of Whiting frames being fed to the rays after they've spent an extra hour in the same bloody spot they were in 5 hours ago for only 7 fish is hilarious and somewhat depressing

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”