An unlucky day on WP

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
aussie_fisho

An unlucky day on WP

Post by aussie_fisho » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Fished flinders yesterday in good conditions, plan was to get some fresh bait then go try for some gummies. It all started from the first bite, was trying to catch som trevally, leather jackets and and other reef species, we had plenty of bites and hook ups, but dropped every fish nearly boat side even with a variety of small and large hooks. Only managed two wrasse, :down: . Still waiting for the tide change we tried for some squid, after just having hooked one squid i placed the rod in the holder to take pic of my mate, having been his first squid, then all of a sudden I see a nice size rat kingie come up and smash the squid jig sitting just below the surface and had the 1000 size reel scream off. After that I spent 30 mins trolling the squid and some lures around for a nice snook, but no kingies. With that we headed out for gummies, the swell was about 2 metres but was nice and spread out and didn't bother us, but like always 5 mins later the wind picked up and made things uncomfortable. We sat it out, pulled up the smallest port Jackson I've ever seen, and a small gummy not legal. When things picked up and we decide to head it, got a screaming run on my lightest combo ( a 7-12kg sea demon) and the fight began. First run and the fish took nearly half the spool :-o, I'm fighting this fish and each time I got it near the boat it just took another big run, sometimes a nice smooth run, and some short run with big headshakes, we decided to pull anchor and go after it, by this time I had been fighting it for 20mins, we chased after it getting close to it, I nearly had it up about 6m down and could see something long and dark with a lighter belly section , then all of a sudden another big run and the hook pulled. All I got up was about 6 kg of kelp. Dam , another big fish lost, next time I'm just using the heavy gear. Any idea what it may of been? Had plenty of energy, wasnt a big Ray in the current caught plenty of those to know how they fight. And to top it off got a nice big chip in the boat, a nice wave came out of nowhere and turned it right in the corner of the trailer, it was a fun day anyway, beats sitting home and doing nothing. Cheers aussie
Here fishy fishy.......

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: An unlucky day on WP

Post by Nude up » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:02 pm

Great report could have been a gummy or schoolie, don't forget to seal the chip in the gel coat if you have exposed the fibres or you will have a few problems later with osmosis.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:04 pm

Way better than working for a living !

Bm
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:34 pm

Nude up wrote:Great report could have been a gummy or schoolie, don't forget to seal the chip in the gel coat if you have exposed the fibres or you will have a few problems later with osmosis.
Must of been some big gummy, did the gummy thing and head up current but had lots of energy. Yeah I'll have to do that with the chip, pretty bad chip.
Here fishy fishy.......

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Yeah mate, sure beats staying home.
I fished Flinders off the pier yesterday morning and caught one decent size slimey and had a large ray wrap me around the pier pylons. All of that for 8 hrs bearing the brunt of the rain and wind. I fished from 1am - 9am... apart form the school of slimeys just at high tide nothing else really. Also saw only 1 squid the whole time i was there, i reckon it had a 13-15cm hood, tiny.

paulpaciocco

Post by paulpaciocco » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:27 am

Mate sure beats sitting at home!
Sand the chip out a little first and smooth it up, then clean it with acetone. Depending on how deep it is, you may need to pop some epoxy resin filler in prior to gel coat finish. If it is mostly cosmetic just whack a coat of gel coat and polish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”