hastings Report - 25/4/15

Flinders, Shoreham, Point Leo, Balnarring, Merricks Beach, Somers, Stony Point, Crib Point
Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

hastings Report - 25/4/15

Post by Scraglor » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi all,

So Willy Weather was telling me all week it was going to be blowing a gale, and raining cats and dogs, however, when I woke up at 3:30am Saturday morning and poked my head outside, it was dry and not a breath of wind. I popped down to the foreshore to have a look and it was dead flat, so off we went to Hastings to have a crack.

The plan was to fish deep and see what was about, then head over to the Tyabb bank and try for some squid, however that didnt end up happening.

We started off deep for not much luck, barely turning a reel (it didnt help that I had messed up the tide times and we arrived after the change, not an hour before like I thought) Then the decision was made to head over to the bait grounds seeing as both of our fridges were pretty empty for bait. Was quite a bit of fun over there as slimeys, yakkas (cowanyoung?), cuda, etc go pretty well on light gear. We also picked up some flatties and pinkies, but the pinkies were undersized. The flatties however will be dinner tonight :dinner:

We decided we had enough bait for the next few trips, after getting about 20 slimeys and about 15 yakkas which went straight into the vac sealer and into the freezer when I got home. We were back off to the "secret spot" which has been solid all summer, however I think the fish have moved on for the colder weather, it didnt help that we picked up a freind (read, seal) on the way, and it wouldnt leave us alone.

By this time it was getting close to home time, so we did our best to ditch our new best freind, and tried in shallow for some whiting for the table, gave it half an hour, picked up a few to 43cm, as well a some 35cm ish LJs and some flatties and went home.

In the end it was a pretty slow day, but we ended up with a reasonable bag, catching a heap of fish, but mostly undesirables. We ended up boating a pretty wide range of fish, including; (I am estimating totals as I didnt really keep track, and we threw most fish back)

- 10-20 flatties
- 10 undersized pinkies
- 30-40 slimey mackeral
- 20 yakkas
- 3 whiting
- 5 LJs
- 2 Couta

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: hastings Report - 25/4/15

Post by bowl » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:38 pm

Good variety of fish, no squid or banjos lol
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:09 pm

Busy day always good to have a few slimie and couta fillets on hand

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:29 pm

Great session.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:15 am

Sounds like you boys had fun, nice range of fish though :thumbsup:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks guys, in hindsight, we should have gone after the ting earlier, as they were good sized, and coming in consistantly, however, hindsight is 20:20 and we have been getting horses deep over the last few months. Also, we could have moved sooner, but I actually love fresh leather jacket, especially when they are a good size, so I was happy bringing a few on board. '

Return to “Flinders to Hastings”