Mornington Pier last night - 22 Feb

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Re: Mornington Pier last night - 22 Feb

Post by ChrisD » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:48 am

Thanks Guys - I will certainly be back to try again. With Daylight savings slowly coming to an end it is getting a tad dark along the Yarra in the evening.
So will be planning a few more evening trips to these "lighted" locations in coming months.

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:23 pm

I've never caught more than a couple of micro pinkies, or a small squid at Mornington pier. I'm always surprised at how few fish are actually caught there - I know it gets a lot of pressure but it's deep water with plenty of structure, weed beds etc. around it, yet it seems to produce far more donuts than anything else.

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:54 pm

Aaron75 wrote:I've never caught more than a couple of micro pinkies, or a small squid at Mornington pier. I'm always surprised at how few fish are actually caught there - I know it gets a lot of pressure but it's deep water with plenty of structure, weed beds etc. around it, yet it seems to produce far more donuts than anything else.
recieves a flogging all year round
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:38 am

Aaron75 wrote:I've never caught more than a couple of micro pinkies, or a small squid at Mornington pier. I'm always surprised at how few fish are actually caught there - I know it gets a lot of pressure but it's deep water with plenty of structure, weed beds etc. around it, yet it seems to produce far more donuts than anything else.
Like most well known landbased spots it gets reamed out pretty badly. It's probably a fishless wasteland after the summer holiday period.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:10 am

I've been scuba diving down there and the biggest mistake fishos make is that they cast too far out. The fish are hanging out at the base of the rocks close to the pier. I've seen large leather jackets, good sized pinkies, flat heads and even king fish. Give is a go but beware the snags. It will be worth it. Where the scuba divers go is where you should be casting.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:05 am

just thought id update this thread.
was at the pier yesterday evening from about 6.30 to 8
lots of undersized pinkies beign caught on bait. almost everyone i seen there were catching them, some fish were size and maybe upto 35cm caught.
i got 5 pinkies and a flathead on plastics, 2 pikies and the flatty were legals.
they slowed down once the sun set.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:13 pm

Not a bad catch :)

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”