Mornington Report

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Mornington Report

Post by e.welch » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:59 pm

This season has been a ripper season for most anglers, Not myself of course due to school being on the best days for snapper fishing but such is life. I got my first snapper this season at 63cms at Mornington pier on squid on the 1st of November and that's the only big fish this season for me. However, even though I haven't had much success some friends of mine have with many notable days with over 50 fish caught. Snapper has slowed down now at Mornington though but doesn't count the season over yet you never know. The best bait this season as far as I know was squid with most fish I saw and heard of falling victim to squid strips, the whole pier fished well with the end producing the most fish.

Currently, the snapper is on and off yesterday a guy fishing next to me lost a 6kg fish and I got a 31cm one and a 40cm salmon however for me I'm thinking of hanging up the big rods and getting out the whiting rods as the Mornington season is just about over.

sorry about the late report I have been very busy atm working and fishing and writing up some big reports every time I go fishing just seems kinda pointless if you have any questions about fishing Mornington feel free to ask I can generally help out as this is where I primarily fish.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Re: Mornington Report

Post by Seniorfisho » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:04 am

As you can see there isn't a lot of appreciation on this site. However, well done on your persistance and enthusiasm for fishing, hopefully the whiting start biting for you soon

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:34 am

Well done welch, 63cm is a good snapper.
Good luck with the whiting fishing.

No need to say sorry. Writing gotta come from you, when you want and how you want it. As long as you enjoy writing it.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:19 am

I wouldn't give up yet on Mornington pier, all you need is a blow from north or west to stir up the water near the pier and the snapper will turn up
They are still in the are as we got them last Saturday morning about 3ks out from the pier

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:41 am

Good report mate. I fish Mornington a lot too, so far this year only pinkies for me but I've seen a few good snapper off the pier. The squid have still been quiet, probably from all the rain. Slimeys and yakkas are starting to fire up which is always fun.

Occasional salmon schools have been showing up too. Big salmon to 45cm. I find they are even more fun than snapper on light gear, they go hard at that size. Helps if you have a boat to follow them around but still been getting the odd fish landbased.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:30 pm

eddyt wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:41 am
Good report mate. I fish Mornington a lot too, so far this year only pinkies for me but I've seen a few good snapper off the pier. The squid have still been quiet, probably from all the rain. Slimeys and yakkas are starting to fire up which is always fun.

Occasional salmon schools have been showing up too. Big salmon to 45cm. I find they are even more fun than snapper on light gear, they go hard at that size. Helps if you have a boat to follow them around but still been getting the odd fish landbased.
Yea mate they do go harder than snapper

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:15 am

fishnut wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:19 am
I wouldn't give up yet on Mornington pier, all you need is a blow from north or west to stir up the water near the pier and the snapper will turn up
They are still in the are as we got them last Saturday morning about 3ks out from the pier
Last week during the big blow there was 3 snapper caught one dropped its just extremely inconsistent even in the big blows so I’d rather spend my time chasing something that is a bit more consistent until March,April and may when the second run comes through for now

e.welch

Post by e.welch » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:17 am

eddyt wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:41 am

It’s not just mornington it’s from Frankston to rye that they have been getting the big salmon you just have to either see bait jumping or birds diving and you will get onto them also the salmon are bigger then 45 I lost one that was 50+ and the one I did land had a follower that looked 60+

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”