Sunday Advice

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Sunday Advice

Post by Aimless » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Hey crew,

I am aiming for a double fishing trip this week. I have Sunday off and I'm keen for a bit of saltwater fishing. Maybe snapper, salmon or squid if any are around.

I note that the wind off Gunnamatta isn't too bad on Sunday, unlike my last trip out which completely blew me out, couldn't even get a lure in the water. So I am thinking about heading in that direction.

That said there also seems to be snapper and all sorts of good stuff out around Mornington. Looking at conditions, where would you head within an hour~ of Melbourne if you had a day to kill?

Don't worry about giving away your good spots, I am a useless fisherman and won't catch anything there anyway - so no danger!

Cheers!

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Sunday Advice

Post by Sebb » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Usually salmon is in colder months. Mornington has more variety. I'd go to Mornington.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Thanks Seb, Mornington is an easy spot for me to get to so I'll try there. Seen some good catches off the pier but I haven't had much luck yet!

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:26 pm

If you can make the 7.30am high tide at Mornington then i reckon you'll have a decent shot at snapper. There's also good numbers of big slimeys, yakkas and salmon and the odd garfish (big ones) around recently, fish with floats with small hooks and bluebait. This was on cup day. Squid are there too.

Don't know about gunna but I'd pick Mornington this time of the year for sure

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:19 pm

I’d also pick Mornington mate.
Lots of options around there and plenty of species to target around this time of the year! Good luck and let us know how you go.
Cheers :tu:

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Hey fellas,

Well unlike yesterday's Warburton adventure, I have an actual report this time.

I didn't get to Mornington until around 12 noon; promised to cook breakfast and that wasn't gonna happen at 5am. Needed to pick up a little tackle on the way. Well, maybe that was just a treat.

Typicaly Mornington weekend day, cold, windy, crowded and no fish! Fished one rod with squid and was spinning some light plastics and a squid jig on my other rod. Jetty was fairly packed although cleared out over the few hours I was there. Weather got nicer too, the wind dropped off although there was a strong current, which you usually get there I think.

Noone was catching much - big highlight was a ray on the end of the jetty, some guys were set up there with about 20 surf rods it looked like! Someone landed a tiny squid on the inside of the harbour.

I got a hit on my egi at one point, but I was daydreaming after 2 hours of doughnuts and didn't hook it. May have been a fish by the feel of it.

In the end I did hook up - went to check my bait and there was a big weight on the end of my line. Felt like a ray or maybe just a chunk of week, but much more exciting - an actual living sea animal. Just not one I wanted to eat.

https://imgur.com/a/GiaS0cS

Around 3:30 I went for a drive towards Mt Martha. I have read the rocks are good but don't know where to access, and I'm not really set up with long rods or anything - so I was scoping out possible spots. In the end I pulled up at the south end of the big beach in Mt Martha and got the waders out.

https://goo.gl/maps/8iuowGUgepNAS8Hw7

I walked along the edge of the rocks in the water, looked like a nice bit of structure for some fish but didn't see one the whole time. Cast all along every side. Wind came up again after about an hour and a half and it was getting a bit choppy for wading so I headed back up.

Stopped by the Mornington jetty again just to check in before heading home. It was almost high tide and I was considering another fish. There were about 100 rods out and noone catching anything (did see a tiny tiny Snapper baby I believe) and tomorrow's busy again, so jumped in the car and headed off.

No hard rubbish on this trip but hey, a starfish, honestly that's my best catch from Mornington so far!

BAZZOOK

Post by BAZZOOK » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:44 am

star fish looks like an 11 arm, native. hope you threw it back. I'm forever throwing then back in the water at Mornington because of ignorant pricks that think their northern pacific seastars.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:14 am

Hey Bazzook, the starfish went right back in the water. At first I thought he'd grabbed my bait and I would have to unhook him, but it had just got wedged between his arms so no major damage done. Not in the business of harming innocent victims of my bad fishing!

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:03 am

Heard there were some legal size pinkies off the pier in the morning on high tide. I was out in the boat - kind of wished I was landbased because it was pretty rough and wet out there. Plenty of bait around the harbour - slimeys, yakkas and tommies everywhere, squid was hard in the wind but still got 2. Saw someone bring back a good 70cm snapper though from around the mussel farm. One day that will be me...

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”