Mornington Pier - 27/1 - AM

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Mornington Pier - 27/1 - AM

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:31 am

Fished the Mornington Pier for a long session on Sunday morning from 1am to 9am. There must have been a good 25+ folk there still at 1am, of which most stayed through to daylight, and the numbers increased significantly after sun-up.

Weather for the most part was zero wind with very calm seas, overnight temperature around 20c, & high tide at 6am. Three rod setup, one out wide, one midway, and the tiddler in close on a mix of pato rigs and running sinkers. Bait used was Pillies , Squid, and Pippies, rotating the bait around in an effort to entice some action.

For what was a long session, it was (un)surprisngly lacking in action. Most of the night session was very inactive with only a few tap tap bites that did not result in any hookups. As the sunlight tinted the sky a more bites came on, but certainly no nice big 'take and run' large(er) pinkies which I had been expecting or rather hoping for. Best action of the morning came with a 48cm Salmon on the running sinker, which the fish inhaled whilst the bait was on the drop (silly bugger took that pillie almost all the way to its gut, am surprised she just didn't chomp through the leader)
mornington2701.jpg
All up a pretty chilled and peaceful session, though pretty much a disappointingly inactive session.

Top tip: I have this weekend begun using the Busted Fishing 'Ducks Nuts' sliding rig to attach my sinker to the mainline. My opinion.... these little plastic thingys are well worth purchasing. They seem to make the cast smoother, and longer ( by 5-10 mtrs) , and have less spinning effect on the retrieve. Highly recommended.
Attachments
ducknuts.jpg

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Mornington Pier - 27/1 - AM

Post by purple5ive » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:51 pm

The weather was great for the monday.
i was out there in the boat near the pier as well.
i took my nephew out fishing for the first time, he got to reel in a few squid and flathead.
a 35cm pinkie and 77cm snook made up the rest of the bag.
pretty dead, but i wasnt out for a feed.
would have loved to get into the salmon though was a perfect day for it.
Thanks for sharing, hopefully you have better luck next time..

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Awsome report mate, I love that pier but not when it's that packed. Excellent weather to be fishing, atleaste you didn't go home empty handed, wonder if everyone still getting micro squids there. I've done 14hr sessions before for donuts, exhausted but no regrets. Welldone mate :ch:

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Nice salmon.
That duck nuts rig thing, is it like a plastic tube kinda thing to tie a dropper line? Interesting.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:22 pm
Nice salmon.
That duck nuts rig thing, is it like a plastic tube kinda thing to tie a dropper line? Interesting.
Yep....spot on
Attachments
Studio_20200128_230255.jpg

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”