Donuts at Mt Martha

Mornington, Mt Martha, McCrae, Safety Beach, Mt Eliza
Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Donuts at Mt Martha

Post by Aimless » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:14 pm

Hey all,

Had my first go at Mt Martha this morning. Pulled myself out of bed before 6, made some coffee and got there shortly after sunrise. Rough!

Weather was calm as anything though, no wind at all. I first parked up at the spot north of Hearn Road but it was super busy down there and I didn't like my chances scrambling down the cliff. As you can see, someone was pulling a little squid out of the water already.
IMG_8962.jpg
IMG_8963.jpg
I had heard there was some easier access to pulled a U Turn and grabbed a park just south of the road. Much easier! There's 3 or so paths down from here which are pretty civilised.

Set myself up on that empty side. Which I realised is because it's the spot between the two reefs with nothing but empty sand in front of it. However, pretty soon I saw 5 or 6 squid sitting in the water. I then spent a couple of hours cycling through jigs and techniques to tempt them, but nothing! They'd chase them in but do nothing.
IMG_8965.jpg
Switched to plastics and had a go. The squid loved my little red SP. Tried to attack it, went bananas. Used a red jig, nothing! It was definitely mind games.

A guy set up with some squid bait next to me going for whiting. He caught a Tommy and then it went quiet. Another guy and his son showed up shortly after looking for gar and hooked up to a beauty first cast, then it went quiet for him too. Both very helpful guys with lots of tips for the spot.

In the meantime lots of schools of fish, some rays and a very large fish of some sort drifted by. What a great spot just to sit and enjoy!

Shame to go home empty handed but I will definitely come back. Checked out around 1100 hrs, by then the sun was high, wind was coming up, tide had changed and not much was going on. Bought some vegetables from a farm nearby so that counts as a successful hunting trip.
IMG_8972.jpg
On packing up, I realised that I had hooked something... a limpet.
IMG_8973.jpg

AE092
Has liked: 5 times

Re: Donuts at Mt Martha

Post by AE092 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:15 am

Good spot Mt Martha and although you didn't catch, there's always a possibility next time!

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:02 am

AE092 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:15 am
Good spot Mt Martha and although you didn't catch, there's always a possibility next time!
Yeah, definitely going to go again. Plenty of fish around, just not biting!

Think I will try and get one of the spots casting into the reef early on next time.

AE092

Post by AE092 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:16 am

Over the long weekend a couple of mates landed 1x KGW, Trevally and (34cm) Pinkie so they're definitely around. If the squid are finicky, get your hands on a mini 1.5 Yamashita jig. I've landed consecutive bait sized squid that school up when no other jig can tempt them. Turn it into fresh bait and you'll be in luck, just pray the Banjo's don't come.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 am

AE092 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:16 am
Over the long weekend a couple of mates landed 1x KGW, Trevally and (34cm) Pinkie so they're definitely around. If the squid are finicky, get your hands on a mini 1.5 Yamashita jig. I've landed consecutive bait sized squid that school up when no other jig can tempt them. Turn it into fresh bait and you'll be in luck, just pray the Banjo's don't come.
Yeah, my little 1.5" soft plastic was getting slammed by the smaller squid (of course nothing on there to hook them with!) but they wouldn't touch my jigs. Smallest size I had on hand was 2 or 2.5 I think.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:22 am

Always love fishing around there. It’s so beautiful!
Caught heaps of squid, whitings, flatties, pinkies and some nice snappers in season as well.
Better luck next time mate :)

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:52 pm

Nice report and pic,s shame about the squid

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:20 pm

I,m going to open up a can of worm,s .What brand jig,s were you using and colour,s

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:15 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:20 pm
I,m going to open up a can of worm,s .What brand jig,s were you using and colour,s
Not a can of worms at all!

I used a mix of Yamashitas (the cheaper ones you get from Dinga - I think they are the shallow type), Rui jigs, and a couple of other exotic but cheap ones - Cross Factor or something I think the brand is, JDM.

Tried orange and pink (my favourites), natural blue, mackerel type colouring. Pretty much anything I had open.

They went ballistic over my little red soft plastic which is probably 1 or 1.5", so I cracked open a smaller (maybe 2 or 2.5") sort of red one I had but no luck.

I heard it may be breeding season so the smaller squid are less aggressive. There was plenty of interest - they would follow the jigs around and swim after them - but no strikes except on the plastic.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 am

if they are following and not commiting try the smaller sized jigs like 2 and 2.5
or try a stinger treble hook on the plastic

Return to “Mornington To Dromana”