Squid jig sizes

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Squid jig sizes

Post by ducky » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:24 am

I use size 3.5 only and after lots of experimentation with different brands have settled on RUI’s jigs as being the best and most cost effective. I only use 1 jig outside RUI’s line and that’s the yamashita r08. I used to take 40 different jigs fishing. These days I settle for a range of about 6 high performers with backups. I lose very few now that I fish 20-25lb leaders

I fish fairly fast when squidding so I vary sink rates by using RUI’s chin weights. Mostly 5grams but up to 10grams fishing in 10m+. I have the chin weight on almost religiously unless I’m in 3.5m or less. They are also perfect for sleeper jigs on a fast drift.

3.5 will catch absolutely everything except those days where there’s 10-15cm hoods following jigs but not hitting. For this I’d recommend a 1.8 jig on a paternoster rig with a 1/2oz sinker to get it down to em and just keep fishing with the 3.5 to snag better squid. But honesty unless you are desperate for bait these are a complete waste of time.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:31 pm

Cheers ducky I also use the chin weights they certainly help when the current / drift is a bit to quick. I am glad to hear someone else mostly uses 3.5 I thought I was a bit odd

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Nude up wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:20 am
Cheers fellas my go to colour is whiting mottled gold, reddy prawn colour then white, silver mullet colour if they fail there is about another 30 different ones to choose. I find my boat drifts fairly quickly so I tend to use the larger jigs to help me get down closer to the bottom. I can and do on occasions put the drogue chute out but it can get in the way.
I have purchased several of the yamashita jigs with rattles in but do not think they stand in the catching stakes.
Use the rattles at night

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Landbased for me 2.5 or 3.0 my best squid 40cm hood on the 2.5 .Example was fishing early saturday bagged out of the shimano 14t 3.0 went back at the same time sunday 3.o 14t not a hit changed over to the 14t in a 2.5 nine squid so size does matter

AE092

Post by AE092 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:33 am

Most of my fishing is done LB (down Peninsula way) and my go to jig as of late has been the Haramitsu AR22 in size 3.0 for early morning fishing. When/if the fishing is finicky, I have a red cloth on red foiled Shimano Egixile 2.5 which I use but let it stay deeper for longer before giving it a few hard 'whips' to work the jig. I find sometimes working the jig and making it dart makes the difference in catching them landbased compared to the occasional 'lift and wind' technique.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:58 pm

I think you're all right about using a smaller size and changing the movement when the squid are being picky.
I've noticed that sometimes using that smaller size compared to others around you can make all the difference. It's something that gets the squid curious and moves differently compared to the multiple other jigs in the water.

In my area which is shallow, weeded and has a high clarity, I have found that two whips works well. The first pops the jig clear of the weed and the second darts it freely before allowing a slow sink. The squid seem to strike over this certain patch of weed and I’ve adjusted to give more action and longer sink over that patch. All those small things you pick up on makes a difference sometimes.

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:32 am

I find myself using 3.5 almost exclusively now, even Land based I drill out a hole in the lead for a slower sink. Squid are ravenous and will hit jigs bigger then them (in general), I have experienced where size does matter off Mornington where swapping to a 1.8 mattered, but mostly Ive loaded with Rui's 3.5 because he has chin weights, so I can customise sink rates for the situation.

Return to “Squid Fishing”