Squid Jig Opinions!

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Squid Jig Opinions!

Post by Sebb » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:57 pm

wishtofish wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:42 pm
Purchased some new squid jigs, was just looking for some opinions on them really and if there should be any other sort of colours/sizes I should get. They're mainly for fishing ppb and will be primarily used landbased.
From top to bottom
1. Green jig with red foil 2.5
2. Yamashita white glow 1.5
3. Yamashita EGI live pilchard 2.5
4. Shimano Sephia egixile 14t 2.5
5. New Shimano Sephia clinch (limeblue k002) 2.5
If I got only these, the Shimano Egiexile white be my go to jig.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:42 pm

Rui's are another great alternative! Good colour range!

Perfect colours for a good range of conditions! Now just to hook into some squid! haha
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:40 pm

Kenle wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:40 am
I used a green 3.0 kmart squid jig, bagged out few times and the cloth is torn up but I still manage to catch squid on it somehow. It has retired since and now been replaced with a much more expensive brand that does just as well. I think if you locate a good area where squids are congregating and work the jigs over them, you'll get them regardless of what colour jigs you have. But that's just my opinion from experience, others may have different views. Anyways, goodluck and I hope you get them soon mate ;)
I have had days when they were taking everything we threw in the water.

Ive also had other days where the squid were following the jig back to the boat but refusing to take them.

I sit firmly in the school that lures are designed to catch fishermen, not fish. However i do agree that different colour lures seem to work in different situations. Changing from a light to dark lure is one thing but I just wonder how subtle colour variations really work eg changing from light red to pink or lime green to yellow.

I have a similar chart to the ones Andrews uses and it seems to work for me but my go to lure for most situations i fish is white.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:41 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:40 pm
Kenle wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:40 am
I used a green 3.0 kmart squid jig, bagged out few times and the cloth is torn up but I still manage to catch squid on it somehow. It has retired since and now been replaced with a much more expensive brand that does just as well. I think if you locate a good area where squids are congregating and work the jigs over them, you'll get them regardless of what colour jigs you have. But that's just my opinion from experience, others may have different views. Anyways, goodluck and I hope you get them soon mate ;)
I have had days when they were taking everything we threw in the water.

Ive also had other days where the squid were following the jig back to the boat but refusing to take them.

I sit firmly in the school that lures are designed to catch fishermen, not fish. However i do agree that different colour lures seem to work in different situations. Changing from a light to dark lure is one thing but I just wonder how subtle colour variations really work eg changing from light red to pink or lime green to yellow.

I have a similar chart to the ones Andrews uses and it seems to work for me but my go to lure for most situations i fish is white.
Funny you said white because 90% of my squid jigs in my tackle box is white. Lol I think squids sees shades from the various colours of jigs and it comes down to the day if it's over cast or blue n sunny. I used white in all conditions including night time and do just fine, I also agree with you that lures are designed to attract the fisherman more than the fish. I just blew $150 on 5 double clutch yesterday, I'm so grounded if the misus finds out. Owel :sr:

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm

I'd agree a lot with most of the points here, sometimes the squid are picky, other times they're go for anything and everything.

I feel there is a lot to squid behaviour and putting it down to just colour wouldn't be completely accurate. Lures, shapes, sizes, colours 100% catch more fisherman than fish, explains why they re-release new colours every year of certain products.

I think that a change is contrast, key word being contrast can make all the difference, a change in colour has me on the fence. I think about it like shadow puppets or something, they're looking towards the light source and seeing that shillouete/shadow which is why science suggests the darker works better in overcast, or above a light at night.

I think white is a very solid choice, even better if it's a white with iridescence. Squid 100% see shades, patterns, shadows, which is better for hunting as the colours get compressed the deep you are underwater. I reckon it all comes down to the amount of light and background dispersion, overcast days there is less light, full sun it's brighter. Clear water you're good, murky water that light is dispersed further.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:34 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:57 pm
wishtofish wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:42 pm
Purchased some new squid jigs, was just looking for some opinions on them really and if there should be any other sort of colours/sizes I should get. They're mainly for fishing ppb and will be primarily used landbased.
From top to bottom
1. Green jig with red foil 2.5
2. Yamashita white glow 1.5
3. Yamashita EGI live pilchard 2.5
4. Shimano Sephia egixile 14t 2.5
5. New Shimano Sephia clinch (limeblue k002) 2.5
If I got only these, the Shimano Egiexile white be my go to jig.
That white 14t has caught me that many squids as well. The one I use is a 3.0 size 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:09 pm

Andrews wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:53 pm
I'd agree a lot with most of the points here, sometimes the squid are picky, other times they're go for anything and everything.

I feel there is a lot to squid behaviour and putting it down to just colour wouldn't be completely accurate. Lures, shapes, sizes, colours 100% catch more fisherman than fish, explains why they re-release new colours every year of certain products.

I think that a change is contrast, key word being contrast can make all the difference, a change in colour has me on the fence. I think about it like shadow puppets or something, they're looking towards the light source and seeing that shillouete/shadow which is why science suggests the darker works better in overcast, or above a light at night.

I think white is a very solid choice, even better if it's a white with iridescence. Squid 100% see shades, patterns, shadows, which is better for hunting as the colours get compressed the deep you are underwater. I reckon it all comes down to the amount of light and background dispersion, overcast days there is less light, full sun it's brighter. Clear water you're good, murky water that light is dispersed further.
Good info.

They're pretty much colour blind and see everything in grey scale. So the points mentioned are definitely factors in key to fool them.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:41 pm

The Yama glow you want is the R08. If you can find somewhere with a stock of them please flick me a PM, they dont' seem to be on the shelves anymore.

Also i'd recommend carrying a couple of size 3.0 and 3.5s. Squid are strange and will sometimes not eat one size but will eat another. A palm sized squid will attack a 3.5 no worries.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “Squid Fishing”