Squid tips

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Squid tips

Post by fisho999 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:19 am

hey guys,
I have never targeted squid before, but I have a trip planned this school holidays for port Albert. I will be fishing off the pier and have my 9 and 13-foot Alveys for beach fishing. I have one squid jig but I will get some 5-dollar ones out of the VIPs bit at anaconda when I go to get my supplies for the trip. I can't really tell any difference between those jigs and the $18 jigs, maybe just quality.

I'm just looking for tips on jig size/colour/ where to fish off the pier or the areas around port Albert.
what should I be looking for? how should I jig them? what line should I use? I will be taking a big lure flicking Alvey spin combo (9 kilos) for salmon and larger fish from the surf but I have a Shimano sienna 2500 with 6-kilo braid on it (it's bright yellow, will that matter). i have it on a 2-4 kilo Shimano Catana.
is that alright for squid? what leaders do I need?

any tips or help would be appreciated :gj:

tight lines, fisho999

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Squid tips

Post by Sebb » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:37 am

fisho999 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:19 am
hey guys,
I have never targeted squid before, but I have a trip planned this school holidays for port Albert. I will be fishing off the pier and have my 9 and 13-foot Alveys for beach fishing. I have one squid jig but I will get some 5-dollar ones out of the VIPs bit at anaconda when I go to get my supplies for the trip. I can't really tell any difference between those jigs and the $18 jigs, maybe just quality.

I'm just looking for tips on jig size/colour/ where to fish off the pier or the areas around port Albert.
what should I be looking for? how should I jig them? what line should I use? I will be taking a big lure flicking Alvey spin combo (9 kilos) for salmon and larger fish from the surf but I have a Shimano sienna 2500 with 6-kilo braid on it (it's bright yellow, will that matter). i have it on a 2-4 kilo Shimano Catana.
is that alright for squid? what leaders do I need?

any tips or help would be appreciated :gj:

tight lines, fisho999
Yeah use your catana and sienna. 10lb to 15lb leader should be ok.
Use 3.0 jig or even 3.5 jig if the current is strong and water is deep. Otherwise use 2.5 if you want if its shallow and no current.
Look for weed bed, and try to get the jig down before retrieving. Vary the retrieve, keep changing the jigs, and see which one works. I find it the slower the retrieve the better, to finding squid.
Good luck.
Andrews is the squid master here, he'd know more.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

fisho999

Post by fisho999 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:09 am

the pressures on andrews :rf: :rf:
Sebb, with the retrieval part, would I just wind it in then pause, wind then pause. or should I go retrieve pause flick, let it sink then start again?

thanks for the advice mate.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:43 am

Time for some salt water action 😃
I generally use a size 3.0 for most of my lb squid fishing and have had a lot of luck. Depending on where you are fishing, if it’s snaggy I use a slightly heavier leader. Good luck mate 👍🏻

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:18 am

fisho999 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:09 am
the pressures on andrews :rf: :rf:
Sebb, with the retrieval part, would I just wind it in then pause, wind then pause. or should I go retrieve pause flick, let it sink then start again?

thanks for the advice mate.
Try them all on the same spot til you get one then do the same. If no squid after trying all, move few metres.
Works differently on different days.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:47 pm

Gday mate Port Albert fishes well for squid at times.

My suggestion would be to try between the boat ramp and the fish and chip shop. You can always use a squid spike with a silver whiting under a float on one rod whilst casting jigs with another.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

fisho999

Post by fisho999 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:03 pm

rb85 wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:47 pm
Gday mate Port Albert fishes well for squid at times.

My suggestion would be to try between the boat ramp and the fish and chip shop. You can always use a squid spike with a silver whiting under a float on one rod whilst casting jigs with another.
thanks, mate :tu: , I have seen people use the float technique and was planning to use it. what kind of float would I use and how big? can you buy whiting at a tackle shop? I'm also planning to buy a few sabiki rigs so I don't always have to get old bait from a servo or a tackle shop, also the bait will be fresher.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:08 pm

https://www.motackle.com.au/fishing/ter ... float.html

Something like this will work. Don’t forget the float stopper and some split shots to help it sink. Simple method.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:20 pm

haha, I'll never pass up on a chance to talk about everything and anything squid.

I've heard positive things about squid and Port Albert, it looks to be a pretty nice spot with some good tidal flow.
I would think your best bet would be with jigs size #3.0 as you've got quite strong currents over that way and the larger sizes will have a good sink rate and resistance in the water.

Colour wise, I'd stick to something a little brighter because you often get murkier water with higher tidal flows. Couldn't go wrong with your pink /orange colours.

Action wise, you'll probably have tidal movement running either left to right, or right to left, I'd use that to your advantage. Cast into the current and let it push the jig across, giving it a few hop every few couples of seconds.

Solid idea on the float from rb85, would let you chuck plastics /metals while chasing some squid. Can always run a jig on the float.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

fisho999

Post by fisho999 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:41 am

so I will use the float method with a whiting and casting jigs. so the next thing is, how do I catch whiting for bait?

Return to “Squid Fishing”