London Bridge/ portsea surf beach.

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: London Bridge/ portsea surf beach.

Post by CarlG » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Brett wrote:The cheapest and most succesful lure for the beaches, as we've found lately :D

Brett, you are not wrong mate...if I had only one lure to take salmon fishing, it would be that top one....absolutely slaughtered them this arvo...what a lure..
Carl..

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:29 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Brett wrote:You suck :-(
I second that :crazy:

:tongue:

Lol...sorry Lads, bare in mind, for the last 6 hours fishing at london bridge before today, I had 1 salmon..
And by the way Brett, did I not suggest you go to London Bridge today..? and did I not tell you the two spots to fish..? (both of which I used today)...
Carl..

Ps... :tongue:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:31 pm

CarlG wrote:
Indeed, I take Kat, (the oldest daughter) now and again..would you be the bloke who was bait fishing at the same time..?
Carl..
I have met you there then - twice at least. I was the one spinning using light gear with Stradic 2500 CI4 and another spare heavier gear with Stradic 5000 (pearl) - while soaking bait, waiting for the surf rod to buckle.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:32 pm

yeah, I wanted to check gunna at low tide though ;-) as I might brave the cold for a shark very soon.

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:37 pm

CarlG wrote:
Brett wrote:The cheapest and most succesful lure for the beaches, as we've found lately :D

Brett, you are not wrong mate...if I had only one lure to take salmon fishing, it would be that top one....absolutely slaughtered them this arvo...what a lure..
Carl..
I have heaps of these Gillies lures. I grabbed a lot when Compleat Angler had their sale just recently - $2 each from 15 to 40 grams! I love the silver one. The only problem with these lures is the lack of action in calm water. It's like dragging a dead fish on its side. On the surf, it will be surely different as the wave action will toss the lure around. They do however do the work on calm water but not as good as lures that have lots of action.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:41 pm

Fish-cador wrote:
CarlG wrote:
Indeed, I take Kat, (the oldest daughter) now and again..would you be the bloke who was bait fishing at the same time..?
Carl..
I have met you there then - twice at least. I was the one spinning using light gear with Stradic 2500 CI4 and another spare heavier gear with Stradic 5000 (pearl) - while soaking bait, waiting for the surf rod to buckle.
Yep, got you pictured mate, will wonder over and say hello next time...
Carl..

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Left the missus in bed at 615AM and hit the road. 2 gears in tow, one light and one heavy. I was planning to go to Gunna but I thought this place must be choked full of bait soakers so I drove all the way to London Bridge this morning.

High tide was 930AM. I was by the water's edge by 8AM. After casting a dozen times with no hits, I was starting to get annoyed. Change of tide and no fish? :angry: Then I noticed that the sun was still blocked by the hills behind me so I walked farther to the left where the sunshine was already hitting the water. First cast on that area and I latched to something decent - 45cm~ish. Next cast - another 45cm~ish. Got 5 good sized salmon in 5 casts. The sun may have caused my lures to sparkle a lot. - this was the only thing I can think of. Then at 9AM the sun finally rose above the hills lighting up the whole of London Bridge area and all hell broke loose. Fish a cast, big and small. Unfortunately, the smaller fish out numbered the big ones. Too many fish around 300 grams or 30cm or less. I was using Halco Twist 15 grams lures with 1 extra treble added (1 treble both ends). 2 fish in one cast - it happened twice. I also had 2 fish in 1 treble once. Fishing was insane! :super:

Kept the good ones, chucked back the smaller ones. It was doing catch and release by 10AM - got my bag early. They hit any lures, big and small, even SP. :super:

So many fish that they hit the lures even in the wash (same experiencce as Carl). Fish were visible riding the waves chasing my lure. Insane! :crazy:

The whole of London Bridge was mine until 12PM. Not a single soul around! :super: :haha2: :haha2: :haha2: :haha2: :super:

Around 1130AM, the bigger fish disappeared but the 30cm ones stayed. 2 guys came around 12PM and they also got their bag on lures. Unfortunately, they missed on the big ones as they came late.

C&R until 230PM. Mind you that was already low tide (2PM) and the fish were still going nuts. Cast and retrieve from 8AM to 230PM non-stop. Sore arms. I can't take it anymore....too painful on my shoulder and arms to reel in a fish. Fish a cast - no bull but I think I caught over 70 fish today from the time they started biting around 845AM to 230PM. Left the fish biting. Today was the best surf spinning session I ever had. :super:

Sorry Carl, you missed on the action today. I dont have your number so I was unable to pass the info. :tongue:
====
Words of wisdom:
====

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:26 pm

Hey Fish Cador...well done mate, dead pleased for you.. very similar to the session I had on wednesday...I had to work today, (tying up loose ends before I start my new job), otherwise I would have been down there with you mate..Unreal when they come bursting up behind the lure isn`t it..?
What was the biggest fish you got..?
Carl..

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:57 pm

CarlG wrote:Hey Fish Cador...well done mate, dead pleased for you.. very similar to the session I had on wednesday...I had to work today, (tying up loose ends before I start my new job), otherwise I would have been down there with you mate..Unreal when they come bursting up behind the lure isn`t it..?
What was the biggest fish you got..?
Carl..

Cant complain mate, sore arms, tired but I had a ball.

I cant believe they hit the lures even on the wash. Unreal! Sometimes, I just dropped my lure on the breakers, did not even wind. I just let the waves drag my lure and when I reeled in, something was attached to the lure. :thumbsup:

They all seem to be of the same size. 46cm was my biggest. Not big enough to beat the 2KG+ leader on the sambo comp but still good fun on light tackle. Smallest on my bucket was 35 cm.

Got them cleaned. Half of them had whole fresh pillies in the guts. No wonder a pair of gannet were diving in front of me - there was food to be had.

Too bad tomorrow's wind forecast is 25 knots westerly shifting WSW by mid day. That will be hellish in the surf. Will keep an eye on the forecast. If it will change, I will hit the change of tide in the morning in time for the 1030AM high tide.
====
Words of wisdom:
====

Fish-cador

Post by Fish-cador » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:45 am

thanks for the text message Carl. Too windy! I am staying at home.

2 fish in 2 casts? Nice start!

This is what you are enduring at the moment.
:captain:

by 10AM it will be like this

Mid day it will be like this:

====
Words of wisdom:
====

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”