Portsea Squid

Rosebud, Tootgarook, Rye, Blairgowrie, Sorrento
laoganma
Has liked: 3 times

Portsea Squid

Post by laoganma » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:45 pm

Hey everyone,

Went down to Portsea Pier from 5:30pm to about 7:15pm today with some friends targeting squid.

First ten minutes and we'd hooked up two hoods, and then it went silent until about 6:50pm - the sun had set and we tried our luck in the shallows before we left, and we sure got lucky! 8 more squid in the span of less than half an hour. The sizes were quite small, the biggest had a hood of maybe 15cm, but we sure weren't complaining.
squid.jpg
The jig that did the work for me was the Sutte R in white/glow size 2.5, and we used a UV torch to charge up the glow body which may have helped us get an edge over all the other fishos that had flocked over to where we were.

---

I've just got a quick question about squid heads; I'm thinking of heading down to either a pier or Docklands soon for some other fishing and planning to use the squid heads as bait, as we ate all the hoods and the arms/tentacles (I don't understand why people avoid those; they're just as delicious).

So basically nothing but the eyes of the squid and a bit of flesh on either end. Would this work or will fish not take it at all?

Thanks for your help and definitely recommend a trip down to Portsea!

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Portsea Squid

Post by Sebb » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:17 am

laoganma wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:45 pm
Hey everyone,

Went down to Portsea Pier from 5:30pm to about 7:15pm today with some friends targeting squid.

First ten minutes and we'd hooked up two hoods, and then it went silent until about 6:50pm - the sun had set and we tried our luck in the shallows before we left, and we sure got lucky! 8 more squid in the span of less than half an hour. The sizes were quite small, the biggest had a hood of maybe 15cm, but we sure weren't complaining.

squid.jpg

The jig that did the work for me was the Sutte R in white/glow size 2.5, and we used a UV torch to charge up the glow body which may have helped us get an edge over all the other fishos that had flocked over to where we were.

---

I've just got a quick question about squid heads; I'm thinking of heading down to either a pier or Docklands soon for some other fishing and planning to use the squid heads as bait, as we ate all the hoods and the arms/tentacles (I don't understand why people avoid those; they're just as delicious).

So basically nothing but the eyes of the squid and a bit of flesh on either end. Would this work or will fish not take it at all?

Nice catch :tu: well done. Must be fun.

And yes, fresh squid head works!
I do that all the time. I've caught snapper and gummies (banjos and rays too), with a fresh squid head as bait. With some of the guts too though.

So I do the same as you whenever I got some squid. Pull the head off, cut the tentacles (to be cooked and eaten), and leave the guts attached to the head. Put on to a 4/0 KL hook, or to a 6/0 for gummies.

In Portsea, you can cut up the squid (any part of the squid) and use as bait. You can get whiting and trevally.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:46 am

laoganma wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:45 pm
Hey everyone,

squid.jpg

---

That’s a nice session mate!
Well done.
Fresh squid heads are awesome baits!
Cheers 👍🏻

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:10 am

Great session mate, that colour is always so good at night in the cooler months! Smashing them!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:45 pm

The gummy we got on tue was on a squid head

Return to “Rosebud to Sorrento/Portsea”