Tongue Point...

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Tongue Point...

Post by DougieK » Sun May 10, 2015 8:02 pm

A week ago before the weather went all to hell CarlG and I ventured down to Tongue Point like we were discussing on here over the last month. The report is late because I left my Camera at LadyK's and haven't been able to upload photos.

Leaving Mulberry Hill at 3.50am, we negotiated the questionable directions from his GPS and wound our way through Gippsland and eventually down to the Carpark at the Darby River. Arriving at about 550am, it was freaking freezing. After a quick cuppa and rugging up, we loaded up the packs and rods and baits and began the 6km trek down to the spot. The first 300ish metres of path is reasonably flat, then it goes straight up. As we climbed the temperature went up about 10 degrees in no time at all, still all in the dark. Eventually we traversed out along the ridge as the sun rose, giving us this view back north.

Another kilometre or so and a bit more sunrise on, I managed to snap this ....

Seriously beautiful place.

We continued on, eventually getting to the end of the track here....

-38.993752, 146.253617

Not realising quite how vertical everything was from the photo's and the sheer hugeness of the cliff, we elected to fish the south ledge rather than trying to climb all the way out to the end.

A group of three Japanese float fisherman showed up, and jumped onto the ledge next to us just as we were setting up.

The amount of fish they pulled in over the next several hours was impressive, fishing light gear in close to the rocks. Very talented lads and incredibly stylish, Carl not so much,.....

AFter landing an 80ish cm pike for baits on my third cast or a halco twister, the next 3 hours resulted in utter frustration and tiny fish and snags. Some beautiful colors, but the big baits weren't getting touched.

Carl came through with a couple of garbage sharks. A Port Jackson.....

and what I think is a Swell Shark but someone might correct me?

During this time we were watching an eagle circle. We'd had our eyes on it for a while, watching it ride the wind changes up and down as it circled and hunted and scared the seagulls off for us. Carl released a wrasse a little too enthusiastically, stunned it for a moment, and we were lucky enough to get to watch this amazing creature dive and grab it from about 20m in front of us and fly back off to enjoy it's lunch.

Just after hightide at 11, the big baits started to go off.

Reefed.

Reefed again, both times we think it was probably one of those big smooth rays.

I broke off a soft plastic casting my salmon rod and halfway through tying an FG the drag on my heavy rod screamed....

Whatever grabbed it, it went topwater and straight for the horizon. I tightened the drag all the way to 11kg and held on to my 13 footer for dear life as the line peeled off in a series of violent headshaking runs, it showed no sign at all of slowing down when PIIIIINNNNGGGGGGGGG and i cop a fully loaded 15kg nitro to the face. Absolutely freaking smoked.

The rest of day was pretty dull, a few big bites that were most likely rays or more garbage sharks, which reefed us pretty effectively. Only the one fish on the lure which was the pike we landed at the start of the day.

A few pics from higher up to try and show everyone just how big the place is.

All in all, a freaking amazing place to fish. Definitely worth the two hour drive and hour+ haul in. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't in pretty good shape, it's a freaking dangerous place to fish. We were there in less than a metre of swell and a stiff offshore, wouldn't go anywhere near it in anything other than perfect conditions. I will be going back with proper LBG gear to try and get a giant toothy sometime in the nearish future.

Here is a whole album of the pics I took.

http://imgur.com/a/Cb6Tp
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Tongue Point...

Post by Scraglor » Sun May 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Wow, thats a pretty special place to fish by the look of it. I am glad there is such a hike to get there to stop people that arent genuine fishos getting there, but still leaving it open to anyone wanting to give it a crack.

Also heard both of you two boys mentioned on the SER Casey Radio podcast this week, you're both becoming celebrities, haha, looking forward to hearing future reports. I wish I could muster the courage to go on LB sessions like this, but its just easier to get the boat out :(

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sun May 10, 2015 8:26 pm

Scraglor wrote:Wow, thats a pretty special place to fish by the look of it. I am glad there is such a hike to get there to stop people that arent genuine fishos getting there, but still leaving it open to anyone wanting to give it a crack.
Was suprised to see anyone there at all to be honest.
Scraglor wrote:Wow, thats a pretty special place to fish by the look of it. I am glad there is such a hike to get there to stop people that arent genuine fishos getting there, but still leaving it open to anyone wanting to give it a crack.

Also heard both of you two boys mentioned on the SER Casey Radio podcast this week, you're both becoming celebrities,
Bit of mis information in that one but it's nice to hear my name on the radio :D
Scraglor wrote: I wish I could muster the courage to go on LB sessions like this, but its just easier to get the boat out :(
I'm probably going to sound like a pretention knob but I find LB success more rewarding. If you want to come down to Gunnamatta one day i'm living 5 minutes away from you and have a spare setup. First time you get s 2kg salmon on a surface popper in the surf you'll never go back.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Scraglor

Post by Scraglor » Sun May 10, 2015 8:28 pm

DougieK wrote:
Was suprised to see anyone there at all to be honest.

Also heard both of you two boys mentioned on the SER Casey Radio podcast this week, you're both becoming celebrities,
Bit of mis information in that one but it's nice to hear my name on the radio :D
Scraglor wrote: I wish I could muster the courage to go on LB sessions like this, but its just easier to get the boat out :(
I'm probably going to sound like a pretention knob but I find LB success more rewarding. If you want to come down to Gunnamatta one day i'm living 5 minutes away from you and have a spare setup. First time you get s 2kg salmon on a surface popper in the surf you'll never go back.
Haha, thanks for the offer on the rod, I actually have a catana 902 / stradic, and a shimano FOW 902 / Sienna combo (I also use them off the rocks at martha) that have had a lot of casting practise at the gun, without landing a fish :P It wont stop me trying tho, I'll def take up the offer to team up and pick up some tips tho :D

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:57 pm

That's an awesome report Doug, I was wondering if you were going to write one :thumbsup:
DougieK wrote:
I'm probably going to sound like a pretention knob but I find LB success more rewarding.
I prefer LB fishing too. I've done a lot of boat fishing and it's still a nice way to spend a day - but using as much technology as possible to tilt the odds in your favor, to the point you're just dropping baits in front of the fish's nose ..... it's not the same as climbing down a rock ledge and relying on your own skill and guile to hunt fish.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Sun May 10, 2015 9:03 pm

Aaron75 wrote: skill and guile
Luck and Stubborness......

LBG Season 2023/4 :

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Sun May 10, 2015 10:14 pm

Cracker day...those Japanese lads were superb anglers, chapeau'd them a few times, as Doug said, very stylish, we were slightly more robust in approach...lol..
Highlights...the huge smoking runs, the Sea Eagles, the sheer beauty of the place, amazing variety of reef fish.
Low lights....none, even the walk out again was fairly straightforward and very scenic..

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Sun May 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Wow fantastic photo, s looks a great place to fish just for the surroundings

seephil
Has liked: 37 times

Post by seephil » Sun May 10, 2015 10:20 pm

As usual Doug, amazing report and beautiful pictures. If you had to take a guess, what did you think you had on when you copped the nitro in your face? Your a tough bloke, you've copped hockey sticks before... lol
Well done Doug and Carl! :thumbsup: Love reading your reports after a good land based session at new places.

Misheen

Post by Misheen » Sun May 10, 2015 10:32 pm

Great report Dougie, that rock the other group are fishing from looks like it drops down into some deep water. Only problem is not many crevices to lodge your rod.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”