Gippy

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Re: Gippy

Post by StarrangerAU » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:11 am

cobby wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:56 pm
Give it a few months to fully explore to lesser lights of the region. Bruthen is great, Buchan is beautiful (even when running from a full grown male deer down the main street at 11pm...), see the caves, do the Snowy river country trail that laps the national park from Orbost, through Buchan, up to Wulgulmerang, cuts deep into the national park, detour to check the deepest gorge in Victoria and possibly see one of the last remaining wild Tiger Quolls at Little River Gorge, back on the main track to Mackillops Bridge (that was wiped out by a flood event just prior to opening in the 30s), through the Deddick Valley, turn right onto Bonang Road that leads you back to Orbost via Goongerah or left onto Delegate just over the border. Those with serious 4wds can detour further down one of the many tracks on both sides of the Snowy River. Check out the Yeerung River east of Cape Conran that would have to be the most tannin stained water I've ever laid eyes on. Then the well known places further east like Bemm, Tamboon and Coota as well. If your compass points north you've got the Great Alpine Rd from Bruthen that'll lead you through places like Tambo Crossing, Ensay and Swifts Creek before hitting Omeo.
Some excellent country you've mentioned there... I took my little Fiat down from Jindabyne to Buchan along the Snowy River and it remains one of my most favorite memories. Highly enjoyable, and some of the best bushland in Australia.
Attachments
snowy1.jpg

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:18 am

CannonsJS wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:07 pm
StarrangerAU wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm
Have been giving some serious thought to heading to Lakes either this weekend or the next, weather permitting... My intent was to have a go at fishing at/next to/near to the Lakes Bar Crossing from the sea wall.

A question for anyone that knows whats what down that way.. can you comment on whether that spot is productive, or is it just plain un-fishable? I imagine at peak run of the tide it would be useless, but at the turn it may have some promise...
The sea wall is damaged currently so there is no access so it. The beach next to it in the photo is where re-tyred recommends fishing for Australian Salmon action. I went for a walk along there about a week ago chucking a lure into the surf and got a Taylor from that spot without even really trying.
Wait for re-tyred reply, I'm sure he'll have some good info to add.

There is currently a dead whale up on Eastern Beach so for anyone into shark fishing there are apparently more of them in the area atm.

If "Deckies R Us" is still in business I could be keen to take the boat out. ;-) Send me a PM if you decide to come down and you want to go for a ride.
Thanks for the heads up on the seawall...
I won't be making a decision on travelling till late this afternoon. I'd be wanting (aiming for) two consecutive days of good blue skies to make it worth the drive. Are you still doing accommodation ( I saw you mention it in an older post) ? Will PM you later.

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:20 am

StarrangerAU wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:18 am
Thanks for the heads up on the seawall...
I won't be making a decision on travelling till late this afternoon. I'd be wanting (aiming for) two consecutive days of good blue skies to make it worth the drive. Are you still doing accommodation ( I saw you mention it in an older post) ? Will PM you later.
All good mate. The weather forecast is looking a little unsettled over this weekend, and the next one is the Australia Day long weekend.
Are there rules about advertising on this forum? Lets just say I recommend staying at Lazy Acre Log Cabins https://www.facebook.com/lazyacrelakesentrance The owners are great people and enjoy their fishing, however they are not very good at it.
Shoot me a PM if you want any more info.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:59 am

StarrangerAU wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm
re-tyred wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:18 am
Lakes is producing KGW salmon and Taylor. Offshore beach , gummies, flatties. The usual on the reefs. Not spectacular but snapper are there. And of cause Kingfish, in the lake and a few at the bluff.

Have been giving some serious thought to heading to Lakes either this weekend or the next, weather permitting... My intent was to have a go at fishing at/next to/near to the Lakes Bar Crossing from the sea wall.

A question for anyone that knows whats what down that way.. can you comment on whether that spot is productive, or is it just plain un-fishable? I imagine at peak run of the tide it would be useless, but at the turn it may have some promise...
Best salmon spot in the area. Equal to Marlo entrance area. Fish the beach next to the rockwall. There is a deep gutter along there. Best is to start at slack water before the flood tide..
Attachments
IMG_20200117_130251_234.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:40 pm

If you don't want to walk , you can get the water taxi to run you to the flagstaff jetty.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:39 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:40 pm
If you don't want to walk , you can get the water taxi to run you to the flagstaff jetty.
How strong is the current? Can we use a kayak to get to the jetty? good for prawning and crabbing too?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:14 pm

re-tyred wrote:
AH-Ha! Now there's the local knowledge I needed to know :gj: I never knew there was a water taxi.

I was not looking forward to lugging gear 2k's along the beach.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:02 pm

Get him to drop you on the beach here. It is a flat boardwalk to the entrance. https://lakes-explorer-sea-safari-water ... m=referral
0458 511438
Attachments
Screenshot_20200117-185330.png

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:10 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:39 pm
re-tyred wrote:
How strong is the current? Can we use a kayak to get to the jetty? good for prawning and crabbing too?
You can kayak from the town or the beach near the esplanade resort, across to the beach near the entrance channel, without getting into the tidal stream.
Attachments
IMG_20200117_191004_674.jpg

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Massive salmon there and in the channel today, few kingfish chasing them too. Just went down the channel with my granddaughter for a look at the seals and dolphins. Notice a black patch in the water just inside the entrance. Cast in a bang granddaughter caught her first kingy. It was just undersize so we chucked it back, next cast she had a 60cm salmon.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”