Swordfish

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Swordfish

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Should've gone with the 130 imo
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:01 pm

CarlG wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:01 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:51 pm
re-tyred wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:50 am

We went out there on Wednesday. It was ridiculously calm. Ended up east of Halibut rig in 500mtrs. Didn't do any good.

Still a steep learning curve for us.

That is out thrid trip in 2 years.
CarlG wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:29 pm

We had a few trips out last year, hooked up twice

first was a monstrous thing. 5 and a half hours on the rod and it broke the surface, we all freaked out. It then did a straight 4 and a half minute, 600mtr dive, pulling 22kg's of drag after 5.45 hours. In the end, we had to cut it off, as we were in competition, and had a radio check to make, and we were waaaaaaaaaaay outsode of contact range.

Second fish came up fairly trouble free, only for everything to go slack with the wind on on site. Disappointing is one word for it.
The search goes on next season.

You guys are living our dreams :tu:

Now I know bugga all about anything that needs a hideous amount of drag BUT

can I make a suggestion , , , , one of these Penn Ocean Assassin Rods

Penn 1.JPG

Now, like I said, I have bugga all knowledge about Swords BUT

I'm going with that old saying

"The Penn is mightier than the Sword" :-D

Penn 2.JPG

Cheers, Bugs
How about a Sabre 37kg bent butt, with alps hardware especially put together for chasing swords.?
And a tiagra 50w loaded with Jerry Brown hollow, and a 37kg momoi top shot.?

We do have a fair idea what we're doing Bugatti, you don't take a peashooter when you're fishing a hundred nautical miles from shore.

Post the video.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:11 pm

CarlG wrote:

How about a Sabre 37kg bent butt, with alps hardware especially put together for chasing swords.?

Have never fished for Swords but have read up and watched a few videos about the methods used to catch them off Mallacoota and Lakes. The Sabre 37kg would be much like a Miller Swordfight i'm presuming where they have designed and built a rod with a softer tip for easier bite detection? Along with the bent butt which is pretty self explanatory when dropping bait to those depths and fishing vertically.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:22 pm

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Yeah that worked
rb85 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:11 pm
CarlG wrote:

Have never fished for Swords but have read up and watched a few videos about the methods used to catch them off Mallacoota and Lakes. The Sabre 37kg would be much like a Miller Swordfight i'm presuming where they have designed and built a rod with a softer tip for easier bite detection? Along with the bent butt which is pretty self explanatory when dropping bait to those depths and fishing vertically.
But critically, you can't make cringe-worthy bugatti jokes about them like you can with whatever Penn make
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:36 pm

That vids epic
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:41 pm

rb85 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:36 pm
That vids epic
I just wish I'd filmed the sword when it broke the surface.
If I live to be a hundred I'll never see something that big again. I had him pegged at over 2 and a half foot across the shoulders, (btw, I'm a chippie by trade, so have a fair idea of measurement).

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:48 pm

rb85 wrote:
CarlG wrote:

Yup, pretty much mate. For anyone getting into it, look up Luke Davey on you tube. Guy is no nonsense, talks absolute sense. Went to a talk in with him at the vgfc a while back, he simplifies everything, and his methods are logical and based on results. We're not brilliant at it by any means, but we're itching to get back out and get onto it.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:54 pm

CarlG wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:48 pm
rb85 wrote:
CarlG wrote:

Yup, pretty much mate. For anyone getting into it, look up Luke Davey on you tube. Guy is no nonsense, talks absolute sense. Went to a talk in with him at the vgfc a while back, he simplifies everything, and his methods are logical and based on results. We're not brilliant at it by any means, but we're itching to get back out and get onto it.
Will check him out Cheers are you a member of the VGFC?

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:57 pm

rb85 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:54 pm
CarlG wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:48 pm
rb85 wrote:
CarlG wrote:

Will check him out Cheers are you a member of the VGFC?
Yeah, let it slide this year due to the restrictions, meaning no comps, but I enjoy the talks and such.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”