Other marks off Lake Entrance

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Other marks off Lake Entrance

Post by mr smokey » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:44 pm

Folks, I have heard there are some good whiting/flatty grounds jus east of LE bar. Fairly close in & near the bluff or similar? Not after anyone's secret honey hole but general directions please? Only been in Lakes for a little while & trying to sort out some places. TIA.

Trevor

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: Other marks off Lake Entrance

Post by re-tyred » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:43 am

The best of the flathead fishing close to the bar is to the west. Usually fish on the bank that runs from 10 to 15 mtrs. You will find them anywhere from just over the bar to 20 miles down the west. Mostly in the warmer months when the water temp is over 15 deg. To the east of the bar it can be a bit patchy as the crab/prawn trawlers work that area a lot and disturb them. Once you get to the bluff and further east you will get them again, same depth. Always a chance of a gummy in these areas too. At the bluff there are quite a few rocks often an odd pinky there . Salmon and kingies hang there too. Kingies water temp 18+. You can get Kingies in the lakes too. Best spots footbridge and a hole to the east of it on the south side. I caught a kingy this year under the Hwy bridge and my granddaughter caught one along the entrance rocks.
Whiting around lakes.
KGW on the shallows just past kalimna jetty opposite fraser island. Also in the deep at nungurner.
School whiting ( the golden ones) are everywhere , but best spots are the deep at nungurner and the beaches offshore. Trick with them is a very small hook and a small piece of squid. As they school, they show on the sounder quite well. Look for small dots and patches like bait down on the bottom.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Re: Other marks off Lake Entrance

Post by mr smokey » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:53 am

Not having much luck with the KGW off Fraser - apparently they have moved on now and are only sporadic. Last couple of weekends you could just about walk boat to boat so you have to book a parking spot early :) Now the wind has picked up again, I will try off Nungurner although will keep an eye out on the Ports wave buoy & head out if it slows down.
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”