Getaway Weekend Nov 2020

TheCatch

Getaway Weekend Nov 2020

Post by TheCatch » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi Guys,

Taking the family on a getaway weekend. Just want to get a few ideas and report in hope to give the family a good time.

1. Prawning - Too early or likely a few to none? Planning to take the kids walking up the North Arm. Just worry the water to be too cold or just moderate?

2. Crabbing and fishing - Planning to rent the boat. Anyone has an idea on how long to go around Rigbys island? First time on the boat, is there a speed limit, and what to watch out for?

Just using lures, is enough? what type of fish that will bite?

Saw couple of pictures recently where people are catching the european shore crabs (green ones) and not the sand crab. Are those actually edible?

3. Weather - most of the time travel around Jan or March which is hot, what to expect for Nov months?

Lastly thank you for any info/guidance input.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Re: Getaway Weekend Nov 2020

Post by eddyt » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:13 pm

Assuming you mean lakes entrance? Inside the lakes you will get European shore crabs. Surprisingly tastes pretty decent for the flavour if you just cook them in a sauce (garlic, olive oil, other seafood) but not much meat.

Closer to the entrance you will find sand crabs. You should find them with the boat. There's shallow patches so be careful you don't beach yourself.

November is usually Whiting and salmon. Not as many bream unless you head up the rivers.

TheCatch

Post by TheCatch » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:39 am

Thanks Eddyt!
Yes lakes entrance, sorry to add that in.

Anyone on report on prawns?

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:47 am

TheCatch wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:43 pm

1. Prawning - Too early or likely a few to none? Planning to take the kids walking up the North Arm. Just worry the water to be too cold or just moderate?
I can't remember exactly but I asked the same question early this year and got a lot of good replies. Use the search function in this forum and you'll find it. I went there just before lockdown early this year, after reopening after bushfire.
TheCatch wrote:

2. Crabbing and fishing - Planning to rent the boat. Anyone has an idea on how long to go around Rigbys island? First time on the boat, is there a speed limit, and what to watch out for?

Just using lures, is enough? what type of fish that will bite?
If you're hiring the boat without license required, they go pretty slow. Also the current around the channels can be pretty strong (makes it even slower) and some areas we're not allowed to go.
I didn't check how long it took me but was fair a bit of time.

Take some bait maybe. The usual flathead, bream, salmon around the mouth usually. Kingfish last summer there.
TheCatch wrote:

Saw couple of pictures recently where people are catching the european shore crabs (green ones) and not the sand crab. Are those actually edible?
Yes, caught them and ate them, and I'm still alive. Taste like a normal crab be.
TheCatch wrote:

3. Weather - most of the time travel around Jan or March which is hot, what to expect for Nov months?
There are people live in gippsland in this forum, they can give you more info. I'm guessing you can get salmon, flatty and bream.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:39 am

TheCatch wrote:
If you are meaning that you want to rent a boat from one of the places on the North Arm and you don't have a boat license you won't be allowed to go up the Hopetoun Channel. Your best bet for fishing from one of these boats would be to target KGW. There's some great info from re-tyred in this forum about specific locations.

TheCatch

Post by TheCatch » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:59 pm

Thanks sebb, cannonjs.

Good inputs and appreciate it.
Definitely will look up on this.

Welcome more if there is any.

Hope to post some report this weekend

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”