Lakes whiting.

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Lakes whiting.

Post by mr smokey » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:10 pm

Hey folks. The whiting are really firing at the moment even though there are a LOT of boats around. It appears that late afternoon sessions are more successful than daytime. Whilst the good old pipie is still a favourite, we have been doing well on mussel and green (raw) prawn. Surprisingly we haven't been done over by many toadies. Perhaps this may be because I have switched to KL circle type hooks. I found (for me) long shank were getting gulped down and then very difficult - if not impossible to recover without being bent out of shape. The circles more often than not just get them in the jaw. Barrier navigation poles, Baxter Island and the usual "car park" opposite Nyerimerlang as well as off Metung. Bagged out yesterday evening ( 2 fishing) - that will feed about 4 families and have "donated" some to less successful holidayers. Most a really good size.
Attachments
whiting.jpg
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Pirkz
Has liked: 229 times

Re: Lakes whiting.

Post by Pirkz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:00 am

Informative post thanks; what, where, when, and how pretty much all covered. I think this Forum would benefit from more of the same... not everyone is a 'local' and for the more often than not holidaying / time limited casual visitor, looking out from the Lakes viewing platform (for example) can be quite intimidating when choosing an area to fish - particularly afloat. Strong wind forecast kept me ashore yesterday although I had planned/promised to take the wife out , but as she is adverse to the chop that quickly builds from Raymond Island across to Metung, I took the dog walkabout instead. Noted a small flotilla of boats off Shaving point and a few moored close to the artificial reefs off Nungurner. Visited Nyerimerlang Park for the first time. Would be interested to know if anyone has any experience fishing on or near the jetty there either land based or afloat?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:33 am

Top catch mate!
Well done 😃
Cheers 👍🏻

mr smokey

Post by mr smokey » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:04 pm

Prikz, ta for that. Have never fished off Nyerimerlang jetty but certainly across the water towards Frazer Is which becomes a car park. Several good spots there but it becomes a bit busy. You are better off going round the corner (Reeves channel) to the back of Frazer. If you are still down here you are aware it it is still blowing pretty badly. It is a bit more sheltered around Barrier Landing. Spot the green markers & line up with them.
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:36 pm

Well done Smokey
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:41 am

Great report Smokey. I haven't had much luck fishing the lake recently, so might have to go and give it another go.

mr smokey

Post by mr smokey » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:09 am

CannonsJS, they are out there (or at least they were last week - I will find out this arvo). Afternoon seems to be best time. Doesn't seem to matter with tide for some reason. I always thought they preferred a fairly strong run out/in.
― Terry Pratchett

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:50 pm

Cool. Afternoons work better for me anyway, so hopefully that is the case.
Yeah don't know about the tides. OJ has mentioned that run out has worked best for him.

mr smokey

Post by mr smokey » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:56 am

Went out last night. End of the slack/start of the run in. 29 between 3 of us. Nearly all on prawn.
― Terry Pratchett

mr smokey

Post by mr smokey » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:27 pm

Well proved my theory. It today all day for 1 whiting only. Same spots, same baits & pretty well much the same tide. A few tiddly flatties, small pinky, small trevally & toadies 🥺🥺
― Terry Pratchett

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”