Swordfishing - Australia Day Weekend

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Swordfishing - Australia Day Weekend

Post by CannonsJS » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:34 am

With conditions being almost perfect offshore yesterday we had our first try at catching a Sword.

We launched at Apex park just before 5am along with a couple of other boats. Cruising past Bullock Island where there were several big boats launching as well. Must have been a fair few out there yesterday.

There wasn't much of a swell, but what there was with a bit of chop meant we had to cruise at about 20knts. So it took a good 2.5hrs for us to reach our spot. We did however get the pleasure of watching some big boats fly past us on the way out. It was pretty cool to see them coming in the distance, then disappear off over the horizon.

When we reached our spot in 600m I sat back and let my brother-in-law take over. He's been watching all the youtube vids so I let him stitch on the squid and tie on the breakaway. When all looked good, we dropped it over the side and waited, and waited, and waited. 5+mins later the line stopped spooling out and we were on the bottom. A few tugs after taking away the slack on the line and we had broken off the brick and our bait was away. So our first ever drop was a success! Pretty happy about that.

We tried where the cursor is. The mark is a spot re-tyred suggested as a good starting point. Maybe we should have gone deeper?

Around 45mins later we decided to check our bait, so after winding all 600m back onto the reel up came our completely untouched squid. At least the stitching did it's job and our lights were still flashing their psychedelic colours. Out comes another house brick, and we do another drop.

After around 10mins we hear the drag start screaming off the Talica and we both jump up from our semi snoozing states to see a couple of dolphins swimming away. One of them must have caught the line briefly. lol.

Around 12pm we decided to call it after retrieving our still untouched squid, but we weren't finished yet. Surely in these depths there must be tuna and marlin, so we trawled for a while for nothing.

Next we thought we'd try dropping for something (anything) in 150mts where it looked like a fishing spot based on the contour lines on the map. Here at least something chewed our bait, but nothing got hooked.

Great run back

Determined to catch A fish, we cruised back to the reef off Lakes and dropped some bait down on what looked like a good spot. Again no bites! At this stage I would have been happy with a Bulleye Gurnard, but couldn't even entice one of them so went back through the entrance, queued up at the ramp with the rest of the people looking to put their boats back on trailers, and came home to the ridicule of our wives.

The weekend wasn't a complete loss though. I scored a big slab of Mako from the boys who brought it in on Sat.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Swordfishing - Australia Day Weekend

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:52 pm

CannonsJS wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:34 am
When all looked good, we dropped it over the side and waited, and waited, and waited. 5+mins later the line stopped spooling out and we were on the bottom.
Haha, i love it! :-D

Great report mate. Better luck next time hopefully. A day spent on the water catching nothing is still better than a day at work.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:39 pm

Could be worse ways to spend a Monday :) :)
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:12 am

would be a good experience without catching anything. Landing a sword is just a bonus, imo.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:21 am

Great write up mate
What sort of hull/motor have you got and what fuel capacity to get out there.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:41 am

Great trip Cannons.
I have been out about 8 times now. Still no sword. We do pretty good on the bottom bashing out there though. We drop two bottom rigs with 10/0 or 12/0 hooks baited with a good size piece of squid and a good sized sinker. Then we deploy the swordy rig. We have caught Blue eye trevally, harpooka and quite a few very large ling. Also if you move back to the 200-300 mtr contour you have a chance of school shark and red Perch.
we no longer really go for swordies as we have had so much success on the bottom bashing.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

CannonsJS

Post by CannonsJS » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:04 am

Thanks guys
rb85 wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:21 am
What sort of hull/motor have you got and what fuel capacity to get out there.
I've got a 2005 Mustang 2000 Bluewater with a Honda BF150 on it. The fuel tank is 185l and I carried an extra 25l in jerrys as backup. I haven't refilled yet but by looking at the fuel gauge I estimate we used about 75l for the 94NM we covered on the day.
re-tyred wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:41 am
I have been out about 8 times now. Still no sword. We do pretty good on the bottom bashing out there though. We drop two bottom rigs with 10/0 or 12/0 hooks baited with a good size piece of squid and a good sized sinker. Then we deploy the swordy rig. We have caught Blue eye trevally, harpooka and quite a few very large ling. Also if you move back to the 200-300 mtr contour you have a chance of school shark and red Perch.
Thanks for the info mate. I was too scared to drop a 2nd line while the sword rig was out. I had visions of a 500m long tangle coming up from the bottom and ruining our day. I will definitely give it a go next time based on your info.

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:49 pm

I forgot to mention, while dropping the bottom rigs we constantly back up into the wind so they go straight down. You can feel them hit bottom more easily. If the wind drift gets too fast we either continue to back up or deploy a parachute drogue. Swordy rig we put out on an outrigger to keep it out of the way. When I say we have never caught a swordy , I mean we have never got one to the surface. We have had two big hookups, one broke the leader and one we lost with 50 MTRS to go.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

CannonsJS

Post by CannonsJS » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:48 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:49 pm
I forgot to mention, while dropping the bottom rigs we constantly back up into the wind so they go straight down. You can feel them hit bottom more easily. If the wind drift gets too fast we either continue to back up or deploy a parachute drogue. Swordy rig we put out on an outrigger to keep it out of the way. When I say we have never caught a swordy , I mean we have never got one to the surface. We have had two big hookups, one broke the leader and one we lost with 50 MTRS to go.
We found the same thing. Spent a fair bit of time in reverse trying to keep the line going straight down.
Without outriggers I might keep it to one line at a time.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”