KGW Gippsland Lakes

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by re-tyred » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:05 pm

And so it begins. South of Flanagan island.2m . About half way along the island
5 KGWs. 2 nice size. No undersize. Peeled prawns and a lot of patience.
Attachments
IMG_20220926_150604_017.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:19 pm

Noice and yummy

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Post by Pirkz » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:59 am

Suitably motivated after reading the post by re-tyred above, there was a change of program in the Pirkz household yesterday, and after a few essential tasks (domestic chores and walking Jimmy dog), I could be found launching at Fort King (again), and by 1100 anchored up over an old Navionics pin marker from last March; pretty close to X marks the spot mentioned above. 2m and the water was almost gin clear, meaning that I could see a carpet of thick weed below. Two rods out - one paternoster, one flowing trace, and peeled prawn on the menu. So far so good - as it was a nice day to be afloat with a gentle breeze and the faintest of tide. Fast forward an hour, and two replacements of end tackle, due to 4 toadies booking in for lunch, and whilst it was still a nice day to be afloat, it was time for a move. Reckoned that I probably needed to fish over less weed, so I needed to be a bit deeper. Motored around for a bit and ended up a few hundred metres away in 2.5m (see pic) and thought ...that should do - complete guesswork really! It is still early in the season, so I didn't expect too much success KGW wise, but any boating activity beats Bunnings in my books. 4 other boats were out within 400m or so (all looked pretty quiet) along with a pod of dolphins (probably catching more than all of us combined). But ever the optimist, I berlied up with some of those dissolvable pellets which turn into what looks like Weetabix when soaked, and lines in. First 30 mins were quiet, after which any thoughts of a brew were soon interrupted by a savage take - which was missed of course (as I was looking for a Kit Kat in my tackle box)...bugger. Note to self - forget morno's, - hold rod and be patient you tw*t! A few minutes later, rattles on both rods (now faced with a dilema - which to pick up?) . Luckily the correct choice was made, resulting in a solid take being hit and a 38 cm KGW coming aboard. Looking good - fish for T, (the missus will be happy when she gets back from work) and the Kit Kat can wait. Over the next 3 hrs managed only 1 cup of T and said choccy bar - and ...Oh yeh . . bagged out.... before using my last prawn and leaving em biting around 3pm. Bite rate was erratic, but it seemed to pick up as the tide increased. Sizes (see pic) ranged from about 38ish down to 28cm - and this smaller fish was only kept as it was no 3 and I really thought that Id struggle to catch the few Id already promised to a neighbour. 2 others @ 30 cm were returned, 18 kept and half donated to others (headed and gutted in pic- gotta feed the pelicans at the ramp - right?). Highlights of the day was having a rod in each hand both with a decent fish on and figuring out how to sort that out, and almost losing a 9ft rod over the side due to such a savage take by a nice sized specimen - luckily just managed to grab the butt as it headed for the depths. Found prawn baited coloured circle hook whiting flasher rigs ($7.95 each - ouch) outfished the standard 2 red hook version (which was subsequently changed back to a flowing trace). On leaving , I noted that a certain commercial Lakes Fishing charter boat had had a couple of moves within the hour nearby for what looked like nowt, so I ventured over to suggest the spot to them as fish were still on the bite. Feedback later in the day revealed that they had some success with 8 good uns. Challenge now will be to see where the fish move to in the system and try and catch at some of the old marks nearer to Paynesville.. but that'll have to wait till the weekend!
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
SOUNDER1.jpg
KGWX18 PIN34.jpg
KGW 27SEPT PIN34.jpg

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:15 am

Just to add that fishin being fishin, I went out yesterday full of expectation; fished the same spot/area and returned after a 5 hr stint (and a dozen moves) with only 4 KGW (36-30) and a coupla samon ( released ). Saw half a dozen boats out around the back (Northern bit) of Flanagans with most struggling from what I could see from their piscatorial musical chair moves. One boat pulled up next to me and caught a lone KGW over half an hour before moving towards the Metung area. Met him on the run home around Mosquito point and he reported having another 18 KGW with some good fish - so just a matter of finding em....this weekends mission...
Pirkz

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:53 pm

Pirkz wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:59 am
Suitably motivated after reading the post by re-tyred above, there was a change of program in the Pirkz household yesterday, and after a few essential tasks (domestic chores and walking Jimmy dog), I could be found launching at Fort King (again), and by 1100 anchored up over an old Navionics pin marker from last March; pretty close to X marks the spot mentioned above. 2m and the water was almost gin clear, meaning that I could see a carpet of thick weed below. Two rods out - one paternoster, one flowing trace, and peeled prawn on the menu. So far so good - as it was a nice day to be afloat with a gentle breeze and the faintest of tide. Fast forward an hour, and two replacements of end tackle, due to 4 toadies booking in for lunch, and whilst it was still a nice day to be afloat, it was time for a move. Reckoned that I probably needed to fish over less weed, so I needed to be a bit deeper. Motored around for a bit and ended up a few hundred metres away in 2.5m (see pic) and thought ...that should do - complete guesswork really! It is still early in the season, so I didn't expect too much success KGW wise, but any boating activity beats Bunnings in my books. 4 other boats were out within 400m or so (all looked pretty quiet) along with a pod of dolphins (probably catching more than all of us combined). But ever the optimist, I berlied up with some of those dissolvable pellets which turn into what looks like Weetabix when soaked, and lines in. First 30 mins were quiet, after which any thoughts of a brew were soon interrupted by a savage take - which was missed of course (as I was looking for a Kit Kat in my tackle box)...bugger. Note to self - forget morno's, - hold rod and be patient you tw*t! A few minutes later, rattles on both rods (now faced with a dilema - which to pick up?) . Luckily the correct choice was made, resulting in a solid take being hit and a 38 cm KGW coming aboard. Looking good - fish for T, (the missus will be happy when she gets back from work) and the Kit Kat can wait. Over the next 3 hrs managed only 1 cup of T and said choccy bar - and ...Oh yeh . . bagged out.... before using my last prawn and leaving em biting around 3pm. Bite rate was erratic, but it seemed to pick up as the tide increased. Sizes (see pic) ranged from about 38ish down to 28cm - and this smaller fish was only kept as it was no 3 and I really thought that Id struggle to catch the few Id already promised to a neighbour. 2 others @ 30 cm were returned, 18 kept and half donated to others (headed and gutted in pic- gotta feed the pelicans at the ramp - right?). Highlights of the day was having a rod in each hand both with a decent fish on and figuring out how to sort that out, and almost losing a 9ft rod over the side due to such a savage take by a nice sized specimen - luckily just managed to grab the butt as it headed for the depths. Found prawn baited coloured circle hook whiting flasher rigs ($7.95 each - ouch) outfished the standard 2 red hook version (which was subsequently changed back to a flowing trace). On leaving , I noted that a certain commercial Lakes Fishing charter boat had had a couple of moves within the hour nearby for what looked like nowt, so I ventured over to suggest the spot to them as fish were still on the bite. Feedback later in the day revealed that they had some success with 8 good uns. Challenge now will be to see where the fish move to in the system and try and catch at some of the old marks nearer to Paynesville.. but that'll have to wait till the weekend!
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Very nice mate 😃
I can’t wait to get some myself soon too!
Cheers 👍🏻

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:41 pm

So Sunday was a great day. out of bed at dawn. prawns and squid in the bait bucket. Launched as the sun cracked the horizon. Headed up to south of Flannagan Is ready to slay the KGWs, .......... watched another regular reeling them in for a while while I caught toadies. :o_0: After an hour and about 30 toadies I moved. Managed just two large ones for about 3 hours.
OK so I don't like defeat, found out the successful ones were using mussels. I am not a fan of them as they are just a pain to get out of the shell and an even bigger pain to keep on the hook. I gathered a bucket full on Monday afternoon and headed out again at dawn today. I even replaced all the hooks and tidied up my gear.
Arrived at the same location before the sun cracked the horizon. 2 other boats there, both reported just there, and nothing yet. After cracking open a mussel and putting it on the hook I cast in. Just picked up another mussel to open and whack down goes the rod tip. Nice little whiting fight and the 1st on for the day is in the esky. The next cpl of hour was mostly occupied in shelling mussels, put on hook, bite, then about a 30% hook up rate as the sneaky buggers get a feed without getting hooked. The ones that I landed were awesome. Probably the most consistent run of biguns I have seen.
Of the 20 fish, I had 2 in the low 30s, 2 at 40, and the rest in the high 30s. They are now filleted and in the fridge. At guess I would say 3kg of fillets.
So I better head down and get another bucket of mussels. This time I will shell them before I go.
:gj: :gj: :wt:
Attachments
Oct 22.jpeg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:31 pm

Good job, nicely played re-tyred. I assume around the same old Flanangans Island spot ? (Note to self - just re read the original post so this is a rhetorical question!) Fished Sat around there for very little using prawn and there was an armada out there - not sure what they caught but plenty of moving so maybe not so much. And yep mussel was responsible for some of my catch the other day. I found that just heating the mussels in a pan (on gas BBQ) for a while to help open the shell made life easier if preplanned of course and they stayed on the hook OK if not overcooked so to say. May try a small barbless treble hook with mussel next time out. Out of curiosity, I weighed 2 fillets descaled skin on from a 38 cm and they came out 100 grams a piece and the total catch of mixed size x18 fish filleted =2.4kgs
Pirkz

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:25 pm

Weighed in at 3.20kg of fillets. Vacuum packed and in the freezer now. I just googled price of KGW fillets $77-99. :o_0:
I am going to experiment on ways to make mussels open

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:36 pm

Get 6 stubbies and a bucket of Mussles
Open them up and dry them out on newspaper
Put in sealed container with course salt
Place in freezer -They wont freeze and when taken out they are tuff as
Use a 1960s bread and butter knife works a treat
Oh yes drink stubbies

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:50 pm

Well back today with salted mussels and prawn. Arrived before sun up. Nice bright moon though. Threw two lines in , one with mussel one with prawn. Bites straight away. Took a cpl of goes to hook one. Nice one in the Esky. So many bites I went to one rod. Very busy for about half an hour and a dozen in the Esky by the time the first other boat arrived. Slowed a bit.as the tide slacked off and the moon set. Sat at 15 in the Esky for about an hour. Noticed another boat land one a hundred metres to the south, so moved over to a little south of him.. 15 minutes and I had my bag. Interestingly quite a few on prawn today.
Attachments
IMG_20221011_121609_033.jpg

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”