KGW Gippsland Lakes

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by re-tyred » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:49 pm

Might get some calmer weather Friday Saturday
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:42 am

Fingers crossed. I've got some friends coming up this weekend so hopefully we can get out for a fish.

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Post by Pirkz » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:05 pm

Just a short report re KGW. Fished the last 2 arvo's . Yesterday was opposite Nungurner in 11 meters again. Bite a drop on squid mostly small stuff but 8 species all up including probably the worlds smallest gummi at about 1lb..my first. And a 1/2lb mackerel of some sort also a first. Good place to take newbie anglers like a partner and or kids as always plenty of action IME. Catch included a few good sized sand whiting a couple of KGW keepers and a few more undersize KGW - though all were returned. Today I went up to Nyerimilang and fished a couple of spots 4m and then 1.7 again with squid and had 6 species all undersize incl 6 KGW 2 of which were keepers at 28 and 30 cm - though released. Ended the session fishing a float with squid on a size 4 and had the slightly bigger KGW that way. Left something down there biting to get back to Paynesville before dark o clock. Toady central by the way!
Tight Lines.
Pirkz
PS Also went across to Steamer landing earlier in the week at short notice to fish the surf for an hour around high tide. Only 1 salmon about 1.5lb on metal slice.
PPS On Monday fished Mclaughlins estuary in the boat which was also very quiet with only a Snook - caught - released - caught again on SP... and a few bits and pieces - no keepers and no salmon.

ango

Post by ango » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:04 pm

I had another go at the KGW this morning around Carstairs, I did not get a bite all morning, it seems like they have moved on for the moment or maybe they were there but a bit shy because it was so glassy calm, I find it better if there is a bit of chop in the water. There were huge schools of yellow eye mullet around but they were not taking the mussel or squid I had.
cheers.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Sat May 01, 2021 8:58 pm

Fort King Paynesville boat ramp feedback. A few KGW caught east side of Raymond On the sand is all I could elicit from the 2 seniors cleaning em. Probably 12 fish all up - which took a few moves and most of the day apparently .Some quite large/fat the biggest KGW I have seen i.e. 40 + cm Conversely a few others looked a bit short of 27cm. Dog soon lost interest so we walked on.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Mon May 10, 2021 10:58 am

Just a short missive to update the current postcode of some of the KGW family. Fished off Nungurner once again in 11m yesterday arvo for 4hrs during the outgoing tide. Using small squid bait on size 4 paternoster and without any berley caught almost a fish a drop incl Flathead, KGW, Sand Whiting, a mackerel of sorts, a 30 cm pike, a 40 cm gummy and multiple gurnard. Must be a bit of a fish highway down there. I was after KGW so quite happy. Put potential dinner guests in the keepnet and sorted at the end of day. About the same amount of fish were thrown straight back as defo undersize. Kept 7 KGW around 28-30 mark returning about the same number undersize, plus 1 gurnard that had expired .Was keen to try gurnard on the plate and was not disappointed last night. Noticed the armada moored up opposite Nyerimilang but couldnt be bothered to move as already catching quite a few (admittedly undersize) fish and a few keeper KGW. Good sport on light gear and a sunny day!
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
KGW may 2021.jpg
B nungurner net.jpg

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:24 pm

Almost went back down to McLoughlin's today but chose instead to fish Nungurner. Forecast light breeze turned out to be pretty stiff NE'ly by lunchtime making it very lumpy fishing across the runout. Not much action. Score for the 4 hr session was 2 KGW - 24 & 29 CM, a small trevally and a crown of thorns (RIP). Quiet session but an improvement on the last Lakes outing. A few other boats out n about doing the Nungurner - Nyerimilang shuffle. Things can only get better as the water warms up.
Tight Lines
Pirkz.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:27 am

Briefly: Fished Nungurner and the Nyerimilang yesterday 1100- 1400. Nowt at Nungurner after an hour just a couple of tentative bites, and only a couple of spotty salmon at Nyerimilang in 4m . Noted a couple of youths trolling erratically and picking up smallish salmon / Bay trout on Sp's by the Nyerimilang red buoy.
Tight Lines
Pirkz

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:19 pm

:tu: I gave Nungurner a go this morning. Not the biggest KGWs but still a feed. Back at the ramp at 11.30 . Stopped at the Asian take away van and ordered some Mongolian beef. Talking to the lady and ended up giving her two fish for her dinner. Found two bonus homemade dim Sims in the bag. :tu:
Attachments
IMG_20211014_145932_8.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:12 pm

Good en yer. A few fish caught with love ha ha makes someone's day sometimes. I gave away my salmon on Monday to the lady chef who works with the missus. Made her day . Box of lindt was my reward. Back on topic. Also fished Nungurner today from about 1130 ish to 2.30 launching at Metung. Had 2 KGW @ 30 CM, a couple undersize and a few bits n pieces all on squid.
Tight lines
Pirkz

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”