KGW Gippsland Lakes

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by mr smokey » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:53 am

They are still around.Behind Fraser for the big ones. 36 nice ones. Mussel best bait.
Attachments
820ebfe2-af93-460d-97c5-f37b0ff177c3.jpg
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

ango

Post by ango » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:02 pm

They were on a mission to get caught this morning for sure, I had my first one after about 30 sec, I had not even had time to get my second line in, I bagged out in about 90 mins and left them biting.
Cheers
Ango
Attachments
m_IMG_2067.jpg

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:27 pm

I went for a change of scenery this morning. Offshore weather has been awful, but today was great, so headed out for a flatty or gummy. Had a decent gummy rig out ant then a light flatty one. You guessed it the first gummy liked the light rig. 4kg rod with 15lb pound line. With a very steady hand and a light touch, I boated a 90cm overall length gummy. Followed that later with 3 more just size ones that I let go to grow. No flatties to be seen.
So back to the whiting next outing.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:02 pm

Vurry noice. Murphy's Law that the line not designated as being the line you want will be the one to get the one that you don't neckescarilly want on the end. Just like when you get your line tangled/reel birds' nested you will get a fish on. “Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one. But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
― Terry Pratchett, Mort. Well done getting the gummy on board :)
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Post by Pirkz » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:53 am

Coupla trips out this week with some success on the KGW. First time out a few days back saw me zig zag between several marks as far as Nungurner for only a few bits n pieces - all undersize. So, decided to head back to Paynesville empty handed and chicken for T! But fortunately stopped in the shallows off Shaving point and fishing in 1.7 - 2m with some of woolies fresh prawn. Managed 5 KGW and a couple of salmon in an hour or so . Found that actually fishing in the weed using a 2 hook paternoster was effective. Bottom hook being the bait of choice . Happy with that- and fish for T. Buoyed by that success, and suitably motivated by reading the KGW reports on here, I decided to head out yesterday arvo around 3 pm for a few hours as the wind was within Tinny bum jarring limits crossing from Paynesville to Metung . Being a creature of habit, I headed back to the same spot as last time out....marked on my Navionics boating app - highly recommended. Anchored up just off the mark and ended up in 1-2m - instead of the 1.7m planned - bugger - But being too lazy to reset the anchor decided to give it a go. Weed was showing on the finder so fingers crossed. Noticed that the easterly wind was against the little tide that there was on account of the berley going backwards under the boat. Oh well no berlying then. Anyway not sure who was most surprised me or the first fish, but a busy first hour saw 8 kgw landed best - 41cm - and several lost. Threw a few around 30 ish back as thought that I was on to a potential bag limit...which of course was the kiss of death .. Bite died, (do fish talk to each other?) Disappointingly, only 2 more and a 32cm bream put in an appearance over the next hour or so - and that was after a move or 3. But the day was not done (although the KGW were). I had been bitten off a few times so Tailor time it was. Threw a paddle tail (well several actually as the buggers quickly destroyed em) for an hour and hooked about a dozen, though only boated 6, on account of loosing my extendable / read - very useful - especially whilst catching, chunky tailor, landing net ,earlier in the piece ( loosing stuff over the side appears to be becoming a habit). Tailor were all kept for a neighbour who likes such fish. Headed home to be met at the jetty by wife, dog and 5 pelicans (no relation) , who were to be disappointed as I clean fish at home. All in all a good session. Probably go out and baptise my new landing net tomorrow for a bit of the same... Dooh... Kiss of death alert!!
Tight Lines
Pirkz

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:07 pm

You need to come down to south side of Flanagan's Island. 18 good ones. Couldn't be bothered to stay for the last two as I would have been late to lunch. Couple of 1kg salmon in the mix. They put up a good fight on whiting gear. :o_0: 2mtr about 300 mtrs west of Fraser island. Prawns and squid. Burley was pellets with Tuna oil and some cracked mussels. They would come and go a bit. Many quiet times, then a frenzy.
Attachments
IMG_20220317_130806_5.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:17 pm

Kool For Kats

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Post by Pirkz » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:42 am

re-tyred yep true. Invite accepted later this week, or early next. Went out yesterday arvo ended up at the other end of Flanagan's Island in 2.5m near the middle area of the crab pots. Caught a few salmon, trevally and a half decent pan sized pinky, which when I tried to measure it, took umbridge with the ruler and flipped over the side! Headed for home a coupla hours later and stopped off at Shaving point area. Anchored in 2.5m but cast to the side into about 1.5m and had 8 KGW in an hour all on prawn before it all went quiet. Biggest about 38 ish rest mid 30s so decent enough. Your 'X' now put into the navionics app!
Pirkz

frankgoff
Has liked: 9 times

Post by frankgoff » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:17 am

We were down in Lakes Entrance over the long weekend for a big family get-together. Managed to get some time to go fishing in between ferrying kids and family to Rigby's island beach. I also followed the report and found salmon/whiting around the shallows of Flanagan's island.

What was most interesting is that I'm used to fishing in such shallow water and my sonar kept beeping the shallow depth warning. Getting around to Flanagans on 2-3m water meant I went super slow and kept my eyes constantly in the water in case there's a hidden sand bank. I wouldn't know what to do without all those channel markers!

Ended up catching a good feed of KGW. Biggest was 35cm and was turned into delicious fish tacos for the family. Thanks again Re-tyred for the advice.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:16 pm

If you get the navionics app for your phone, it has the latest survey depths in the hydrographic charts. Makes it a lot easier to move around the endless shallow banks throughout the lakes
Attachments
Screenshot_20220318-141803.png

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”