KGW Gippsland Lakes

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by re-tyred » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:57 am

I am away for a month. Last trip was offshore for flatties . Half doz nice ones in 17 MTR 5 mile west of the entrance. Plenty of bream under the town jetties . Caught 3 on mussels at the coast guard jetty last Thursday. Let them go as I don't eat bream. KGWs have been very quiet lately. You can get prawns in lake tyers if you are looking for some fun. Still not a lot of big ones but give them a month or so. Tyers is shut so they aren't going anywhere
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pirkz
Has liked: 229 times

Post by Pirkz » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:33 pm

Fished Sat. On the water at 0520am still pretty bloody dark but I wanted to see a sunrise along with a few fish. A 0600 launch would have achieved the same thing. Motored across to Shaving Point and had a few small bream in about an hour on prawn before moving to Wollaston. Fished several sandy spots 1.6-2m for a grand total of 2 KGW around 34cm along with a few bits n pieces including a luderick. Hard going. Rumour has it that the KGW are to be found around the Ocean Grange area. Will give that a go next week. Nice sunrise though and a far cry from that experienced in England only a few days earlier.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
Sunrise 2023.jpg

Paulanderson
Has liked: 59 times

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:56 am

Well the previous trip was a zero but today at least managed 4 keepers in the 36 cm range and returned a dozen or so small whiting. Peeled prawn and clams for bait. As soon as the outgoing tide picked up even the toadies stopped biting!!!!!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:13 pm

At least you got a feed there!
Nice catch.
Cheers 👍🏻

Pirkz

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes - PB KGW

Post by Pirkz » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:21 pm

Decided on a bit of 'Same but Different' today. Wanted to check out the Ocean Grange/Sperm Whale head areas so was happy just to motor about a bit peering into the shallows as I went and considered that any fish caught today would be a bonus. Launched in Paynesville around 0830 am with no other trailers in sight, and headed off across the lake. Noticed 4 boats already clustered around the red marker/ entrance to the Ocean Grange channel so joined em for 30 mins - for nowt! Moved across to Sperm Whale Head for a bit and then continued the anticlockwise lap to end up by Dog Island. Fished a few 10 min slots here and there for a few small yellowfin bream. So 2 hrs in and no KGW. Saw a nice flatty shoot across the shallows and contemplated chasing after it but there again perhaps not. Todays mission was to explore what is the closest bit of water to home for me and find a few KGW. Headed back across the flats towards the southern end of Raymond Island and noticed a lone tinny with the single occupant trying hard to land a fish without anyone ( namely me) seeing it. Too late ..ha ha . So with fish about I started the search for sand patches and ended up 50 m from him in 1.5 over a large area of sand. First up in any new spot under 2 m I start with the float; flickin here and there and adjusting the depth a few times just to see what is about. Well I didn't get past the 'flickin here' bit today as within a minute or so the float shot away and it was game on - or so I thought - but false alarm as only another lively pan size bream...bugger! But the area looked like a KGW postcode and matey boy was still 'covertly 'catching a few - although his dog barked every time one came in the boat - which saved me looking.. ha ha. Anyway short story short ,within the next 2 hrs I ended up with 12 excellent KGW and a lone mullet, along with a few bream around size - which were returned . Biggest KGW was a Pb 44cm with 3 @ 43 and the rest nudging 40 with a lone 36 er. Most were caught on the float at various depths, with a couple caught on the running trace using prawn and the odd piece of squid. So a good morning out. The 4 smaller were converted into some apples and tomatoes from a neighbour, and the other 8 gave up exactly 2kg of fillets skin on. Lat t N Long on the sounder for those that fish down this way.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
PB44CM.jpg
3MarX12KGW.jpg
3 Mar 23.jpg

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:28 pm

Well Done Pirkz
$15.50 for a fried piece of Whiting at the Fish and Chip shop at St Leonards

Paulanderson
Has liked: 59 times

Post by Paulanderson » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:41 pm

You did well Pirkz - was well worth the motoring around and keeping an eye on other fishermen!

Chilli
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Chilli » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:08 pm

Good job Pirkz

ango

Post by ango » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:30 pm

Hi Pirkz. Good catch, looks like as the salinity increases due to the recent lack of rain the whiting are coming further up the system. I note small mussels starting to appear on the jetties again. I am not familiar with local names, where is Dog Island? It does not exist according to Google Maps.
Cheers Ango.

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:55 pm

Ango my mistake, its probably called Dog Point by Parks Vic I ned to read the sign again next time over there. Its the area East of Barton Island with all the birds nesting on - so on your left if going to Ocean Grange via the main channel from the southern end of Raymond Island. There were a few boats out that way today. I went for an hour too late in the day around 1pm and got blown off after getting a few smallish bream over the sandflats.
Tight lines
Pirkz

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”