denis barden

Re: KGW Gippsland Lakes

Post by denis barden » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Good Fushin

Pirkz
Has liked: 222 times

Post by Pirkz » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:59 pm

re-tyred . Your inspiration created a bit of motivation this morning as after reading your post at 6.45 am, and planning a slow day organising my trip back to UK tomorrow, household events took a piscatorial turn for the better (plan B) and I was to be found off Nungurner lines in by 8am after launching at Paynesville! Hard going but 8 KGW keepers (28-30 cm) over 3 hrs and 2 moves using squid and mussel. A pleasant, albeit short session, and a nice Ozzy memory to take back to the winter in Europe. 4 other boats in the vicinity but fairly quiet during my time for all I think. Hopefully I will be able to chase a few around Raymond Island on my return in early Jan. Shall follow the forum from afar so please post all.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
nov2 whiting.jpg

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:19 pm

Went out Tuesday 30th. Hard work for around 10 between 3 of us in 2 boats. Nearly all on the mussel beds between Nyerimerlang & Fraser. Tried just about everything apart from squid. End result, Woolies green banana prawns the best. Pipies (took out a personal loan to afford half a dozen) not any better than either clams or fresh mussels. Interestingly old mate who cleaned the catch said there was blue bait or similar in their gut.
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:33 pm

Yeah whiting have been slow this week. Sunday I only managed 4. Today just 2 keepers on the south side of Flannagan Island. Went down to the entrance just before the ebb tide. Manage 4 salmon. 3 small and 1 at about 1.5 kg. Great day to be out. Looks like a few days of rubbish weather. KGWs might be better in a week or so when this fresh water starts to clear away.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:16 pm

Thought the thread needed an update so flew back from UK early- 4 flights ( missed a connection in Singapore and got rerouted to Sydney then Melbourne - just what I needed after 2 flights already and a 12 hr leg), 38 hrs door to door and only 3 PCR tests needed and voila I was back on home turf. Left over Christmas oysters for T tonight, but not much else fishy in the fridge so decided to head over to Nungurner today with a view to catching dinner (any excuse really). Wind was forecast as a light Westerly early on, picking up this arvo and veering to a moderate North Easterly. So launched early (for me at least) around 630am at Paynesville expecting a relatively smooth ride across. But the first task was to collect some mussels as these had picked out the bigger fish last time out in Nov. Easier said than done! After 15 minutes pissing about bouncing the boat off various jetty pylons to collect off the legs, I only had about a dozen . The recent rain and freshwater inflow to the lakes appears to have killed off most of the mussels on the Paynesville jetties, as there were nowt about. So squid it would be. A surprisingly bumpy ride over to X marks the spot (40kph reduced to 25kph) ; definitely not a 'light' westerly. Arrived around 7;30am to find a few other boats anchored up already. Good to be back on the lakes fishing but otherwise it was a miserable morning with frequent rain showers and a cold wind swirling about. Flowing trace on the bottom and squid on a long shank size 4 ish saw 9 KGW (27-32) and a lone flatty (42) come aboard. Hard fishing with no pattern emerging despite a couple of local moves to spots Y and Z. After 5 hrs I had enough for dinner, so called it quits and headed back in the rain - albeit with a following wind / sea (that part of the forecast was reasonably accurate). Always good to get back to Oz after a UK visit (though I do miss the $8 pints)- And we are blessed with opportunities for a great lifestyle here; especially in Gippsland that's for sure. Looking forward to reading some KGW reports around Raymond Island if anyone fishes over that way.
Tight Lines
Pirkz
Attachments
Dec 27 2021 KGW2.jpg

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:40 am

Just to add. After walking the dog at Fort King to check the state of play at the ramp there ( relatively quiet as the off shore mob had departed much earlier) launched around 9 am with my better half and went across to Shaving Point with the intention of meeting my fishing offsider who had planned to launch at Metung around 10 am. Whilst waiting for him fished abeam Shaving point in 2 -3 m along with 12 other boats and over 3 hrs caught 7 KGW 32 -34 using the oysters we didnt have for T ( see post above) and squid.Mate couldnt launch or park at Metung or Nungurner and noticed the festive goodwill quickly evaporating around him as many were in the same boat,( or not as in his case) so turned around and headed back to Trarralgon. Never seen the lakes so busy.May launch later today if I can get some mussel....as oysters are off till next xmas..
Tight Lines
Pirkz.

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Post by mr smokey » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:48 am

0430 Friday morning. North Arm/Bullock Island ramp park nearly full - fairly orderly departures but on return at around 1100 arghhhh!
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:05 pm

Must have been 200 trailers at the main ramp at 6am this morning. Was ok when we launched, just a couple of others. Back at 8-30 was ok, just before the jetski, ski boat and picnickers I think. Went down to rescue a yacht at 11am and total chaos at the ramp, in the street and out on the lake.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Pirkz

Post by Pirkz » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:25 pm

So started 2022 as I meant to go on (after all only 357 fishing days left to Christmas) and fished the last 2 days around the Metung and Nungurner areas with mixed results. Yesterday was a pretty slow day afloat and saw only 4 KGW taken home - all caught on squid in the Shaving point area in around 3m. A move late on to Nungurner produced a few more species but all were undersize. So I went back out today (Fort King ramp very quiet by the way) and decided to focus on the Shaving point bay area back towards Paynesville. Over a few hours yesterdays spot by the first Shaving point 5kt speed buoy eventually produced a couple of 30 cm ish KGW on squid. Several moves from 3m to 4m to 5m to 6m didnt improve the bite rate and numerous boats came and went around me with one unlucky fisho on a sit on/in kayak thingy getting wetter than he planned as a large wake flipped him off. Fair play though he saved his rod and his hat before remounting albeit with some help from a half cabber, and carried on fishing. Noticed a few boats anchored up back towards Paynesville to the south of the bay area so thought Id give it a go and joined the crowd - socially distanced of course. Settled in 2m and fished both sides of the boat so 3m - 1.5m . Bites came straight away and a couple of hours later saw me heading home with a total of 12 KGW.. 30- 35 cm including a couple of chunky monkeys - so happy with that. Probably missed hooking about the same number as fished 2 rods which isnt the wisest tactic when KGW are on the bite, and had to grab the other rod a few times to stop it going over the side, such was the ferocity of the take at times. May head back out tomorrow and see if I can find a few bigger specimens.
Tight lines
Pirkz
Attachments
Jan2 KGW.jpg

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”