Lakes Entrance kayak fishing

Coogeejoe

Lakes Entrance kayak fishing

Post by Coogeejoe » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:19 pm

Hi Everybody
I’m a new guy asking for advice, hopefully that doesn’t wear thin for the knowledgeable, your help would actually be hugely appreciated.
I’m spending a handful of days in Lakes Entrance next week. I’ll mostly be kayak based and while I’m happy to fish for whatever is around at the time, I’d also really like to put some time into chasing crabs and prawns. I don’t get the opportunity to go after them very often and have never really done it all from my kayak, so it will be exciting to try.
I think I’ve figured out all the practicalities but I haven’t been to the area before and have little idea about spots. It would be great to hear from anybody with experience kayak/land based fishing, crabing or prawning in the area.
Thanks,
Joe

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Lakes Entrance kayak fishing

Post by re-tyred » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:02 pm

Ok so best place to launch would be Kalimna jetty. Work the shallows to the east or west for crabs. Further to the west you will see a red channel marker. KGW are caught in that area. You may see boats fishing there. Don't hang out in that channel as all boats going lakes to Metung will pass between the red marker and the shore to the north.
Prawns haven't been very thick but directly to the south of Kalimna jetty on the shore of Rigby island would be a good spot.
Be very careful in this whole area as there are strong currents. If you look at https://www.gippslandports.vic.gov.au/b ... d-weather/ you can see the direction of the current. Time your paddle to use the current to your advantage.
Attachments
earth_postcard_1612597625.jpg
earth_postcard_1612597573.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Coogeejoe

Post by Coogeejoe » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:09 pm

Thank you 🙏🙏🙏

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:24 pm

Hey re-tyred coming there on Wednesday for a few days and was wondering if there's any luderick being caught

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:36 pm

I haven't heard but quite a bit of luderick weed about the rocks.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

fishnut

Post by fishnut » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:03 pm

Ok thx will give it a try anyway

fishnut

Post by fishnut » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:42 pm

Well re-tyred fished the rocks towards the entrance today,got some luderick and drummer and got smashed by a couple of big drummer, was a fun arvo

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”