Surf report from Bunga Beach

AndyM
Has liked: 30 times

Surf report from Bunga Beach

Post by AndyM » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:47 am

I have not touched my surf spinning outfit for at least 6 months due to leg problems. Pain levels have subsided recently, and the calm conditions leading up to a 7.30 pm high tide were just too tempting. Water was a bit dirty, but it just felt good to be standing in the surf again. I normally don't start casting until about 300 metres towards Red Bluff, but due to a lack of confidence in my legs, started casting the Halco Twisty 30g right in front of the Bunga track and slowly worked in an easterly direction. Shortly after, bang, and put a smallish tailor on the beach. Too small to bother filleting, so back he went. 100 casts and another 300 metres up the beach, the rod buckled over and a 34cm Tailor hit the beach. Big enough for a fillet each for my 2 whippets, so now for a nice chunky salmon for me. Kept fishing towards the bluff, but no further action and the light was starting to fade, so decided to slowly fish my way back again. Got half way back to the lake without any more action, and beginning to think that was it. 6 months prior, I had replaced the drag washers in the Stradic 4000 with new carbontex washers and this was their first outing, and it didn't look like they were going to get bedded in on this trip. Suddenly my retrieve came to a screeching halt and and the water in front of me erupted to reveal a big salmon in full flight. My Innovator Sniper spinning rod is a on the lighter side when it comes to the bigger salmon, but with a lot of patience and a bit of luck it is great fun. This fish took me 100 metres down the beach, and had that drag humming on it's many runs. Ten minutes later I dragged this silver torpedo up the beach. It measured 60 cm, and according to the fish weights app on my phone, weighed in at 2.98 kg. I have retro fitted my lures with single hooks, so a quick easy release was possible, and great to see it swim away. Have photos, but can't work out how to post them.

mr smokey
Has liked: 48 times

Re: Surf report from Bunga Beach

Post by mr smokey » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:40 am

Interesting upgrading the drag washers :tu: :tu:
“It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
― Terry Pratchett

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:53 pm

Sounds like an absolute beauty that salmon.
The missus and I got onto a big bust up yesterday from the boat and had a ball as well with many taking plenty of line on light gear!
Cheers 👍🏻

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:43 pm

Where is bunga beach
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:55 pm

Good report mate. Nothing like a fight like that to get the blood pumping and heart working in over time hahah

AndyM

Post by AndyM » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:08 pm

The original drag washers in the Stradic were a soft felt material, which while they worked well enough, did not last very long. Bought a set of carbontex drag washers for about $15. Very easy to change over, and got a real work out yesterday. They never looked like missing a beat, so fairly impressed with them so far

AndyM

Post by AndyM » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:54 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:53 pm
Sounds like an absolute beauty that salmon.
The missus and I got onto a big bust up yesterday from the boat and had a ball as well with many taking plenty of line on light gear!
Cheers 👍🏻
Sounds like a great bit of sport. In my opinion, pound for pound they are right up there with the best of them. In a boat on light gear they are hard to toss.

AndyM

Post by AndyM » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:56 pm

mr smokey wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:40 am
Interesting upgrading the drag washers :tu: :tu:
The original drag washers in the Stradic were a soft felt material, which while they worked well enough, did not last very long. Bought a set of carbontex drag washers for about $15. Very easy to change over, and got a real work out yesterday. They never looked like missing a beat, so fairly impressed with them so far

AndyM

Post by AndyM » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:01 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:43 pm
Where is bunga beach
If you are coming through Lakes heading east, you come out of the town heading up the big hill. Just over the hill, first turn on your right (Bunga Beach Rd). Follow to the carpark at the end of the road, and follow the track alongside the lake straight onto the beach. Not even a sand dune to walk over

AndyM

Post by AndyM » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:03 pm

Joker91 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:55 pm
Good report mate. Nothing like a fight like that to get the blood pumping and heart working in over time hahah
You are not wrong there. First time in 6 months, so what a way to make a comeback.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”