Gippsland Bream

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Gippsland Bream

Post by mazman » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:19 pm

Hey guys,

This is a report from last week fishing out in gippsland. Won't be a video from this trip just a few little clips and pics on instagram. Last week my plan was to head out west to target trout in lake purrumbete and bullen merri but the night before I was set to leave the forecast completely flipped and suddenly I was looking at 40+km/h winds and 30-50mm of rain over the days I was meant to be there. A quick change of plans and a frantic repack and I was now set to head to gippsland for bream.

My first day down in gippsland started with beautiful weather but it didn't take long for the wind to pick up. I made my way downstream flicking hard bodies at the snags and it wasn't long before I got a solid hit off an isolated log in 1m of water and a healthy flathead popped its head up. Not what I was here to target but a welcome catch and a nice way to christen my rod.
GOPR5006.00_01_22_06.Still001-1.jpg
The rest of the day was a little on the slow side but there was enough action to keep me going with some nice bream feeding tight to the edges. Ended up landing 6 of them and missing a couple of others but never really found what I was looking for so decided to try somewhere different in the morning.
20220830_104530 web.jpg
Day 2 I started nice and early working a bent over some edges that had mullet schools moving around, this didn't muster up even a swirl and after pedaling around sounding for a couple of hours without finding any bream I made the call to head in and move to a new spot while it was still early. After moving I found myself in a very different system and back to fishing edges in a river, this time I decided to predominantly fish soft plastics. I was seeing a few large marks along the edge but nothing really stood out as the spot I should be targeting so I decided to slowly work my way along the whole bank and see if I could make anything happen. It didn't take too long for my first hit, a subtle tap on the drop next to a snag and after setting the hook all hell broke loose. This fish was determined to get me back into its home and took plenty of line in the process. After playing the fish for a few minutes I finally got my first glimpse and it was a giant bream, after a few runs at the kayak and some tense moments when it went under the yak I got the fish in the net and couldn't believe how big it was.
GOPR5009.00_06_22_33.Still003-1.jpg
I thought for sure this fish would knock off my PB but ended up equaling it at 47cm. This gave me confidence to keep working my way along the bank and try and find some more of these giants shallow and after an hour of hopping plastics out from the edge in the snags I had my second hit of the day. I immediately knew this was another big bream from the signature headshakes and after muscling it out from the edge let it go on some scorching runs out in the middle and slid it into the net.
GOPR5009.00_07_52_00.Still004-1.jpg
At first glance I thought this was an even bigger bream but my eyes were decieving me and it came in at 45cm on the mat. Just up the bank from where I got this one I hooked into another. This fish clearly wasn't as big and while it still put up an admirable fight it wasn't long before I slid it into the net.
20220831_124025 web.jpg
Only a little tacker at 41cm ;-) After this things went pretty quiet and I had been fishing for a few hours before I got another hit and this one caught me off guard, a subtle take had me doubting whether it was a fish or not and a timid hookset lead to the bream going nuts before I had even started to get it out of the snags and it took no time at all before my leader rubbed through on the timber. I kept working my way along the bank and went back through the areas I had pulled the previous fish from but this proved to be the last action for the day. Quantity was definitely on the low side but with bream that size it doesn't matter.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Gippsland Bream

Post by purple5ive » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:34 pm

Those are some solid bream man!!!
I notice the new rod isn't a miller, change of brands or just trying something different?
Cheers

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:44 am

Some very nice bream Alex 👍🏻

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:36 am

Some great fish there Maz

mazman

Post by mazman » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:21 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:34 pm
Those are some solid bream man!!!
I notice the new rod isn't a miller, change of brands or just trying something different?
Cheers
Thanks Steve, I was wondering if someone would notice a bit of a change in gear. I joined the fishtec proteam over winter.
For what its worth i really rate the edge rod, no way I would have got those fish out on my usual plastics outfit and the battler I had been using to fish snags is much heavier in hand

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:05 pm

Sensational stuff man, well done and well deserved!!

Edge rods are great, few of my mates have them. The raw carbon blank isn't for me though, I will destroy it in no time.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:20 am

Have considered a few builds using north fork composite blanks Alex. Are they as good as the hype?
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

mazman

Post by mazman » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:36 pm

rb85 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:20 am
Have considered a few builds using north fork composite blanks Alex. Are they as good as the hype?
So far I've only seriously fished with the one rod as the others I have are for cod fishing but the blank on it is really nice. I have a few mates who get custom rods built on north fork blanks and rate them highly but I've only ever had a test cast or two with those rods

Geoffski
Has liked: 73 times

Post by Geoffski » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:09 pm

Hi Guys

As I'm not into the footy, a mate and I took advantage of a super long weekend and spent the last few days fishing Lake Tyers and Tamboon (22-26 Sept) We lost a day or so to rain but otherwise the weather was pretty good. Fishing was generally a bit slow but better early and late, and was best when the water and boat were quiet. BTW -Evidently 5 knots is faster to some others especially when passing people fishing :o_0:

We didn't keep a close eye on scores but the action was consistently slow. Bream were the target with several at 38cm quite a few 29-35 and only one undersize - all but a few were released with only a enough taken for dinner. We also lost a couple of big flattys to light leaders and old mate caught an eel :te:

Best fishing was at Lake Tyers at the top and was a few deg warmer than Tamboon.

Overall a great few days :ch: :ch:

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”