Offshore Lakes Entrance

Elmer Stratty
Has liked: 56 times

Re: Offshore Lakes Entrance

Post by Elmer Stratty » Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:01 am

Went out and tried both 6 and 8 Mile on Monday. Very slow for us with no ‘eater’ keepers kept. The usual culprits came up to be released, Gurnard, Sergeant Bakers, Barber Perch. We kept a couple of slimeys for bait and headed in. A quick stop on the flats to see if an early KGW was about…but nope…nothing.

E

Paulanderson
Has liked: 63 times

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:57 pm

I fished off The Pines this morning with half a dozen keeper Flathead (no big ones) and 4 large Gurnard. Back at the cleaning table 2 nice Gummies were being cleaned - the first Gummies I have seen for some time.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:01 pm

I will be back home mid September. Hope the fishing pick up by then
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:04 pm

Hopefully you will bring the KGW with you!

Elmer Stratty
Has liked: 56 times

Post by Elmer Stratty » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:45 am

Headed outside yesterday with the aim of catching a gummy or something else for dinner. First went east between Lake Tyers and Pettmans in 20m of water. Only scored a gurnard so tracked back to 6 mile. Half a dozen boats spread out in the area and one damn seal who decided he needed our catch more than us. Fortunately he only scored a few barber perch which if landed would have been bait next time.

A short move and the seal swapped boats, sorry to the other Extreme out there 😬, let us land a fe more fish. Lots of slimeys about so we kept a few for bait along with a couple of barber perch.

The small bait rod went off and a Morwong came to the surface.

I had a snapper rig on the bottom with a Reidy’s Rig (#5/0 scallop) baited with squid. It twitched a couple of times and buckled. It felt like a decent pinky, as it got closer and I could see colour I’m thinking ‘coota…but no, it was a 43cm King George Whiting. Happy with that!

E

Tried without success for a couple of flatties near the Pines then headed back inside for a fish near Nungurner and Metung before calling it a day.

Cracking day and great weather. Looking at a few FB posts the charter boys did alright on new ground.
Attachments
IMG_9665.jpeg
IMG_9663.jpeg

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:18 am

My 2 recent trips West of The Pines resulted in a few decent Flatties among many smaller ones. Also a few large Gurnard. Anchored up in 10 metres and put out a burley bomb for an hour and finally hooked a large Gummy - which spat the hook next to the boat. Also made a quick visit to the local KGW spots with nothing but Toadies. Hopefully the KGW will be with us very soon!!!

Tackleberry
Has liked: 302 times

Post by Tackleberry » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:41 am

Paulanderson wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:18 am
My 2 recent trips West of The Pines resulted in a few decent Flatties among many smaller ones. Also a few large Gurnard. Anchored up in 10 metres and put out a burley bomb for an hour and finally hooked a large Gummy - which spat the hook next to the boat. Also made a quick visit to the local KGW spots with nothing but Toadies. Hopefully the KGW will be with us very soon!!!
Looks like I will be seeing you out there soon I can't wait to get back in to the flattys and gummys at night I usually anchor up just behind the bar and get gummy that way .
best thing about that is no dunes and no sand
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:02 pm

Not really offshore or inshore! Checked the Lakes web cam early this morning and the channel next to Bullock Island was alive with birds. Grabbed a rod and went down and under the birds it was equally alive with small to medium salmon. Was a fish a cast for a few minutes until the seals showed up. Then the tide started running in and then every cast picked up weed. All set now with Gummy baits and I bled the 2 largest, filleted them, cut out all the dark meat - and will try them in egg and bread crumbs tomorrow night.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 302 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:02 pm

There fun when like that .
I went to pic up my new boat today and now the insurance mobs won't insure it .
So I'm still off the water for now
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Paulanderson

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:36 pm

Sorry about your boat insurance issues Tackleberry.

Well fish and chips for supper and I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by the Salmon fillets. Admittedly the original owner was bled properly and was very quickly filleted, dark meat cut out, and in the fridge. If treated properly it is quite tasty coated in egg and bread crumbs and deep fried - a poor man's KGW LOL! Am sure if had spent an hour or three in the sun on a beach it would have been a different story.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”