Offshore Lakes Entrance

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Offshore Lakes Entrance

Post by re-tyred » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:40 pm

Tried along the beach west of lakes over the last 2 days.
First day tried from the pines to about 7 miles down. Caught about 1000 gurnard. No flatties or gummies. Had a crack at some salmon on the way across the bar. Managed 12 in quick time just on the east side of the entrance wall.
Headed out today with salmon for bait. Caught 3 good flatties early then zip.
Still slow going.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:21 pm

Fished from the pines to the tower today. Slow going, lots of gurnard. Manage 5 flathead and a gummy for the day.
Best area seemed to be off the Grange in 12-13 MTRS.
The gummy took a bait on my flathead rod with 15 lb mono . It was a challenge but got it into the net after about 5 minutes. Nice 1mtr fish.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 62 times

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:54 am

Deceptively too sloppy for my 4.2 m tinny early this morning so turned around and headed back to the entrance. Finally found a few salmon close to the end of the East wall - after one for me and 3 for the seals I gave that idea away as well! I really need to use heavier line so I can get them into the boat quicker!

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:35 am

Paulanderson wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:54 am
Deceptively too sloppy for my 4.2 m tinny early this morning so turned around and headed back to the entrance. Finally found a few salmon close to the end of the East wall - after one for me and 3 for the seals I gave that idea away as well! I really need to use heavier line so I can get them into the boat quicker!
I was on the 6m about 4 years ago I had 14 sinkers ......... I came home with 1 pinky and no sinkers :dn:
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:54 am

Quick run up to the Bluff at daylight. Lots of small flathead outside the rocks. A few pinkies. Moved to the eastern end of the rocks with some very light flathead gear. Down went the rod bent double and line spooling. I thought yeah here we go big wrasse. I was pleasantly surprised to get a nice 38cm pinky up after a bit of a battle. Stuck with the light rod and 15lb line with a very small sliding sinker An hour later on my way with 7 pinkies 3, 40cm +, 4 under 40cm. 2 flatties and a school whiting.
Attachments
IMG_20231110_101217_149_copy_1190x1587.jpg

Tackleberry

Post by Tackleberry » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:29 pm

I went about 5ks further in 21m and got a feed of flatys biggest would be just under 50cm the average 40 odd I got there late didn't hit the entrance until 9 next time I will leave Paynesville at 03:30 .
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Tackleberry

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:48 am

Out to the 6mile and only dusky morwong
But they were 45+ cm and then the Gurnard rolled up around 11:00 so pulled the pin .
At times it was hard to get a bait below 15m as there were tons of little mackerel

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:45 pm

Mowong are good eating. Once the mackerel turn up you know it's game on for fishing offshore. I noticed water temp up to 18c. It may be worth a go out further at the rocks in 46 MTRS. I know of one good bag of snapper today. Not sure where they were. I am guessing down the tower area as they had a couple of gummies as well.

Tackleberry

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:52 pm

If it was the blue tinny charter boat they were just west of me .
Anyway I figure this in a dusky I have not eaten these before just the ones with the black band and thought they were soso.
20231121_085029_copy_768x1364.jpg
I would have stayed out but I was as wet as a fish as I don't have a canopy or wet gear as yet

Tackleberry

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:55 pm

Unfortunately I don't know where the rocks are

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”