Landbased Wilsons Prom

Timmo1918

Landbased Wilsons Prom

Post by Timmo1918 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:26 pm

Hi All new to this forum, so firstly, thanks for having me.

I have been through a lot of posts that i could find Re fishing at Wilsons Prom, but nothing recent from what i can see.

I have fished of the beach at Normans while the kids surf, always managed to get a few small salmon, knowing how shallow it is out there, and i have also been off the rocks at the Tidal River end of Norman Bay, again, small salmon (on a Tassie Devil of all lures)

Just curious if anyone else gets around there these days? Im a fly fisherman mostly so salt isnt my friend but curious to know what the fishing is like off the rocks further around Normans and towards Squeaky. Any info is much appreciated

Cheers, Timmo

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: Landbased Wilsons Prom

Post by Sebb » Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:14 pm

I haven't been there for ages. The last time I went there was the same, small salmon from the rocks. Small bream and mullet tidal river. You can try darby beach and rocks too. Walk a bit from the carpark. Be the same, salmon.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Timmo1918

Post by Timmo1918 » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:33 am

Thanks Sebb.
Heading down late Nov, will have a good scout around. Weather permitting

Russell Harris
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Russell Harris » Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:12 pm

Have a look at Cape Liptrap down through Lower Tarwin - Left Hand Side as you approach the Lighthouse, Steep descent from carpark at end of fence on left.

Timmo1918

Post by Timmo1918 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:36 am

Thanks Russell

Timmo1918

Post by Timmo1918 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:45 pm

Update if anyone is interested

Fished the rocks of Picnic Bay, nothing but small salmon, despite how 'fishy' it looked

Same at Norman Bay, all good fun though.

Weather was better suited for breakfast beers and poker, so thats what we did

Geoffski
Has liked: 73 times

Post by Geoffski » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:01 pm

I had thought you couldn't fish in the National Park (presumming that's what you meant) but just checked the Parks website which says you can (see below) but its pretty limited. We had a weekend down there a while ago the charts said we couldn't fish within a few hundred metre of the shore.

Sounds like you're landbased in which case in addition to the suggestions above have a look at Shallow Inlet - I did well on the snapper and whiting a few years ago there.

Park website says
"fishing with a valid fishing licence, recreational fishing is permitted in Corner Inlet and Shallow Inlet Marine and Coastal Parks and Wilsons
Promontory Marine Park, on beach areas and fishing platforms within Tidal River estuary and in Darby River east of the bridge."

maxmikoo

Post by maxmikoo » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:02 pm

Timmo1918 wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:26 pm
Hi All new to this forum, so firstly, thanks for having me.

I have been through a lot of posts that i could find Re fishing at Wilsons Prom, but nothing recent from what i can see.

I have fished of the beach at Normans while the kids surf, always managed to get a few small salmon, knowing how shallow it is out there, and i have also been off the rocks at the Tidal River end of Norman Bay, again, small salmon (on a Tassie Devil of all lures)

Just curious if anyone else gets around there these days? Im a fly fisherman mostly so salt isnt my friend but curious to know what the fishing is like off the rocks further around Normans and towards Squeaky. Any info is much appreciated

Cheers, Timmo
Hey mate i know you've already been but incase you make the trip again. I haven't fished there myself but as ambitious as it may sound i'm planning on trying for a landbased king around that area in the new year. I've heard it can be done and they certainly get them by boat so i'm guessing if u can find a nice deep drop off and have a bit of spare time there's a chance of it paying off. Again never done it myself but i don't see why not and if ur just looking for ideas that'd be one hell of an achievement.

Timmo1918

Post by Timmo1918 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:39 pm

Thanks Geoffski and Maxmikoo

Geoffski, you can fish South, all the way to the 5th ramp at Norman bay, beyond that it becomes Marine Park.

Maxmikoo, most of the areas i could safely get to in the conditions were relatively shallow, but i'll be giving them a go next time im there for sure

Flatty fisho
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Flatty fisho » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:13 pm

Hey all,

I’m heading down to camp at tidal river for a week tomorrow. What’s my best chance of catching fish? I have a decent casting beach salmon rod I was planning to fish with along with a lighter rod for maybe an ep in a river?
Any advice would be a so appreciated!
☺️

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”