Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: Boof Diary 2019

Post by Texas » Wed May 01, 2019 6:53 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:45 pm
Truedogz wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Since the debacle at the Codference my closest friends have told me that I’ve changed, that I don’t mix with people and rarely smile. Its probably true after that let down, I know that I rarely get a good nights’ sleep now and have a very negative view of the future. I’ve come to accept that the dreams I had for some native fisheries are not going to happen and let go of them. So I live for the present.

I caught up with Dave and Brett at GoFish Nagambie who suggested I start posting again on FV and my best friends have encouraged me to do so.

So how did I go? Read the following posts ...

I have no idea about Freshwater fishing , , , , zip, nudda, niente, nought, nothing

But as far as, how did you go, Truedogz , , , , you did well , , , , you did very well indeed

And your mates , , , , they did admirably

Helping Will.PNG

This is what "fishing" is all about , , , , we are Fisherman , , , , not Catchermen.

Well done all round.

Cheers, Bill
Will knows more about native fish, than this whole forum put together, well maybe professor broomstick, but I doubt it

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed May 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Texas wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:53 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:45 pm
Truedogz wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Since the debacle at the Codference my closest friends have told me that I’ve changed, that I don’t mix with people and rarely smile. Its probably true after that let down, I know that I rarely get a good nights’ sleep now and have a very negative view of the future. I’ve come to accept that the dreams I had for some native fisheries are not going to happen and let go of them. So I live for the present.

I caught up with Dave and Brett at GoFish Nagambie who suggested I start posting again on FV and my best friends have encouraged me to do so.

So how did I go? Read the following posts ...

I have no idea about Freshwater fishing , , , , zip, nudda, niente, nought, nothing

But as far as, how did you go, Truedogz , , , , you did well , , , , you did very well indeed

And your mates , , , , they did admirably

Helping Will.PNG

This is what "fishing" is all about , , , , we are Fisherman , , , , not Catchermen.

Well done all round.

Cheers, Bill
Will knows more about native fish, than this whole forum put together, well maybe professor broomstick, but I doubt it

I don't doubt it at all, Tex. I peruse the Site for some midnight reading and have come across Will's posts and from memory of reading those threads, he is held in high regard , , , , that is earned, so yes, I did realise to some degree. Even with his posts on this thread, awesome.

I'm just glad to see that Will, a bloke with what he has revealed, is making positive moves forward.

It may take skill & experience to entice a Cod out from under a snag , , , , but to pick yourself up, when you're down , , , , that takes courage and determination, especially for that "first step" forward , , , , and it takes having good mates. That to me is worth more than any Cod.

Credit and well done, Will and to his mates as well :thumbsup:

Cheers, Bill
You guys get my respect

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Wed May 01, 2019 8:38 pm

It was a pleasant surprise to see the "Truedogz" name on the top of a post again. Wonderful, detailed reports and photos about a species and methods of fishing that I know little about. I still harbour some hopes that the pain of your earlier disappointment will eventually ease enough for you to once again post some thoughts and opinions about freshwater policies and directions.
Whatever you decide, welcome back.
Col.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Wed May 01, 2019 8:45 pm

some big fish there

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu May 02, 2019 2:42 am

westvic wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:15 pm
What size lure did the yella take?
Got it on a 120mm cod cracker. Here's the proof!:
surface yella.jpg
I caught several others last season on the Taylor Made cod Wallopers which I suppose are about 60mm long and one on a cod cracker, so it is no fluke. I used to catch them in Qld on surface lures and I think a lot more would be caught if they were targeted with small lures. All the surface hits of the yellas occurred during twilight close to the bank near my feet. One fish last season was about 45 cm I think.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Thu May 02, 2019 3:31 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:31 pm
Damn truedogz - what a return.

So much we cant control or influence, but we can always control how we choose to act and respond. Glad to hear it sounds like youve processed things, got perspective and you are choosing to pull yourself back up and be happy in the now.

From a personal standpoint - your posts and contributions have had a huge positive impact on my fishing and enjoyment (catching or not) of it - so thank you and i hope knowing that from a random internet stranger gives you something to smile about, cos its deserving
Thanks mate for your support, its appreciated. I'm having another bad night tonight; making the posts has probably unsettled me.

It took a lot of negotiating via emails to get me to do the talk at the Codference. Here is a screen shot of part of the email that convinced me to do it. The section in bold was sent to me that way by the VFA and suggested that is was a big deal and what would be announced:
announcement.JPG

I asked that the last sentence be amended to include put and take fisheries where there is limited breeding and they agreed.

I will admit I was excited about getting involved again and wanted to start doing talks again helping the VFA, local CMAs promoting trout cod, maccas, blackies etc. They suggested I get a gopro to start filming my fishing. I was honestly looking forward to doing it, thinking if they were prepared to announce it then it was a big deal.

Did those sentences get announced? No. It was a shock when they didn't announce what I expected and it didn't sink in until that night. I still cannot fathom why, only either that they didn't take it seriously or didn't have the authority to make that announcement.

That was bad enough but what really shook me up was the lack of support from fishing commentators and organisations who, instead of pulling the VFA up on it said nothing. Even some Facebook posts asking for an apology would have been nice, but nothing. The bottom line is most of them are only interested in themselves, their egos and notoriety, personal agendas, sponsorship or just power. I had nothing to gain, no wage or sponsorship by anyone, just the satisfaction of contributing for the benefit of all in my twilight years, something to do in retirement. Tex here voiced his concern, but from the movers, shakers, youtube posters, VFA, NFA, nothing. Its not about whether we get fisheries for trout cod or not, its about people in government bodies acting with integrity which should be of concern to everyone.

I still don't get it and probably never will.

HFC I have read your posts and those of ChrisD and would definitely like to fish with you two on the Yarra next season. Its because of people like you that I've started posting again.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Thu May 02, 2019 7:09 am

wow you know your spots

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Thu May 02, 2019 8:13 am

I included some pics of the habitats fished so here are pics for the two biggest fish.

This the Murray where I caught the 130. It is a steep bank with fast water. I have to walk by a lot of spots where I can't get down to land a fish. As long as there is a ledge at water level so I can get at the head to free the lure its fine, I don't feel the need to get them out of the water, particularly big ones. I cast from the top of bank towards where the white star is out in the fast water bringing it back towards me. The brown line indicates a big sunken tree. I've drawn where I saw the cod. The red star where it took it. I had only made a few casts but it was obviously enough to get its attention. A couple of key points are that they obviously have great hearing as it picked up the lure from probably far off near the log - so you need to be quiet. Second they can see pretty well so if on top of a bank wear drab clothing and don't jump around. I had a bird's eye view of proceedings and saw it hang vertically under the lure, open its mouth and the lure fell in:
big fellas home.jpg

This is where I got the 120 in January in the Goulburn. There are two huge logs next to each other. I'd put in I reckon two dozen casts downstream of the log and then moved above it. Again, I cast at the white star and got hit at the red star. I'd probably made 20 casts and was thinking of moving. I think it proves that sometimes you have to put in the casts to draw their attention. With the big logs I really had to lean on the fish:
120s home.jpg

Cheers

Truedogz

Truedogz

Post by Truedogz » Thu May 02, 2019 8:21 am

For those that haven't seen this clip of Ray Clifford with a 97cm boof enjoy:

https://www.facebook.com/ray.j.clifford ... yMjgyMDY5/

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Thu May 02, 2019 8:41 am

What a fantastic report to mark your return, thanks for that.
Great to have you back mate.

Cheers, Greggo

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”