Cod on Surface Frogs

Fisho11
Has liked: 2 times

Cod on Surface Frogs

Post by Fisho11 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:13 pm

Hi All,
Recently watched a youtube Video about Cod on Frogs by Granite Gorrilaz and it got me really interested about trying surface frogs out.
So far for the season I've had 3 sessions using them as much as possible.
I love how durable they are especially working them around the holes of willows in daylight, have had some great blow ups.
Has anyone else tried using frogs on cod? Any tips/ tricks would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Fisho

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Re: Cod on Surface Frogs

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:12 am

Its a killer video that one - Robbie Alexander is using the damiki air frogs atm in his videos.

Haven't tried them myself - i do like the surface lures where its a brainless straight retrieve with a little stopping and speed adjustment only. Feel like the frog needs much more attention and work, but have been interested since that video and for the fact they are 99% snagproof and can be cast anywhere in the darkness at night.

Have you converted any boofs?

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:07 am

They would've fished remote places for that video.
When I went to Tackleworld and to buy a frog lure (didn't end up buying), the guy said the hook up rate is terrible. Yes they're almost snag proof being the hook is pointing up above water, but also means hard to get a hookup unless the cod is super aggressive and swallow the whole lot.
I got two frog lures from BCF, I might try this season. I heard they're good before, during and after rain.
Last edited by Sebb on Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:49 am

Air frogs look good from the perspective you can put the hook in how you like, eg more point exposure for better initial grab on strike contact

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:57 am

Seb85 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:07 am
They would've fished remote places for that video.
When I went to Tackleworld and to buy a frog lure (didn't end up buying), the guy said the hook up rate is terrible. Yes they're almost snag proof being the hook is pointing up above water, but also means hard to get a hookup unless the cod is super aggressive and swallow the whole lot.
I got two frog lures from BCF, I might try this season. I heard they're good before, during and after rain.
I haven't been able to connect with any boofs yet, missed 3 boofs 3 nights ago, mind you only 1 of them was a solid boof other two missed the lure. It seems to draw good interest though, and gets to spots where nothing else would.

Fisho11

Post by Fisho11 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:01 am

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:12 am
Its a killer video that one - Robbie Alexander is using the damiki air frogs atm in his videos.

Haven't tried them myself - i do like the surface lures where its a brainless straight retrieve with a little stopping and speed adjustment only. Feel like the frog needs much more attention and work, but have been interested since that video and for the fact they are 99% snagproof and can be cast anywhere in the darkness at night.

Have you converted any boofs?
I haven't converted a boof yet hopefully that will change on the weekend. It it amazing how snag resistant they are. I've been skipping them through willows, have not had an issue with snags yet. I bought a pack of air frogs which arrived today, keen to give them a run.

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:38 am

Good luck.
Planning to go to Goulburn river myself on Sunday, hopefully get a cod or two on surface. Will try frog lures.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”