Bass-tastic!

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Bass-tastic!

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Just something to get our mind of the coronas, thought i would use the downtime to chuck up a report.

One of my goals for this summer was to finally tangle with Aussie Bass.
Fins!.jpg
An example of a fish in prime condition

I have been lucky enough to run into enough of the other natives, and decided that finding these little gems had to happen sooner, rather than later.
The fires finally having subsided in East Gippsland, made it a good time to start thinking about these fish again too.
So many communities rebuilding with fishing and fishing related travel being the primary source of revenue.
:wt:

The tactics that were recommended were fairly similar to the way we usually target other species like bream or actually closer to estuary perch.
A species that they are often confused with.
Light but strong rods to extract these brawlers from snaggy dwellings, leaders a couple of rod lengths long. One always wonders if we are going too light or too heavy, I found a 2-5Kilo Majorcraft Days and 2500 Stradic Ci4+ , spooled with 12lb tasline and running between 6-12 lb leaders stood up to the test really well.

As always, where we go, the kayaks come with. There is just something really special about being able to sneak into spots that other's with boats or landbased just do not have the means to get to.
There are sooo many systems in Victoria that present this opportunity. One just has to get off one's backside and go find them.

:gj:

Sinsemilla(who recently bought a kayak), Mazman and I put some work in over the last couple of months and were rewarded with some really pleasant sessions. :vy:

Anth.jpg
Anth's first ride
anth 2.jpg
Anth showing us how its done!
bass portrait.jpg
One of the better fish!
Bass profile.jpg
Fish such as this were the norm
Cicada close up.jpg
Top water brawlers

Plastic's such as the Zman Slim SwimZ in Motor oil, paired with a revheads jighead or a beetlespin worked admirably well. Particularly when we had to cast into spots that we sometimes knew would be a will full struggle against a fish that did not want to leave its hidey hole. :(
Cranky Bass.jpg
Some on cranks too, they really rip off on a HB
Then there was what we really were hanging on for, the surface bite. It would hardly take the light to dim even slightly before we tossed on the surface lures. Cicada's being the preferred profile, mixed in with micropomps and slippery dogs.

Fin Flare.jpg
Look at the fins!

Felt really great ticking this species off my bucket list and being with my besties made it all the more sweeter.

Hopefully this virus blows over sooner, rather than later and we can all go back to exploring this beautiful country with our mates.

Tightlines everybody!

content!.jpg
Pleased with all our hardwork!
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smokin_reels

Re: Bass-tastic!

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:42 pm

More pics!
Maz water release.jpg
Maz Letting one go
Maz Big Boi.jpg
Maz bringing in one of the big boi's
First off the top.jpg
My first off the top!
First Bass.jpg
My first bass on a scouting mission!
yak standup.jpg
Finally able to stand and fish comfortably on the kayak, a real fitness goal of mine. Was amazing seeing little bass dart out and smash a surface lure from an elevated position, on still nights only being powered by the cicada i was throwing . Stealthily!
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Stumpjumper » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:05 pm

Lovely fish and location fellas!

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:26 pm

Great report Mr A (more like A+) and a great day out guys.

That's what fishing is all about, great location, great mates, great fish , , , , and great being able to make us all jealous :tu:

Now as far as Bass, size, how many , , , , not sure about all of that , , , , but as far as another department ????

Anth.JPG
maz.JPG

Smokey, that Million Dollar Smile of yours wins hands down

smokey.JPG
smokey 2.JPG
smokey 3.JPG

I'm looking forward to the next time you guys get to explore that area more :tu:

Cheers, Bugs

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:30 am

What a great write up Aaron, It was an absolute pleasure! I can't believe it took me this long to buy a yak, I haven't had that much fun in a long time.

The surface bite gives me life! Floating a few meters behind you watching that bass come up and have 7 goes at your lure before hooking up has got to be one of the highlights.

Next time I'm busting out the 6lb..

YTB! (Yeah the bass!)

Cheers, Anth

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:02 am

Great report Aaron hopefully I see you guys on the water sometime in the future.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 am

rb85 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:02 am
Great report Aaron hopefully I see you guys on the water sometime in the future.

Sure thing mate, hopefully we get over the corona and get cracking on the VB’s soon.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 am

Well done lads! great effort and Great fish.
Where Niroj, did you guys ditch the poor bugger!

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 am

Great report, now you can understand what all the Bass- hype is about. ;-)

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:41 am

greggo wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 am
Great report, now you can understand what all the Bass- hype is about. ;-)
Last time we went bass fishing you wanted to leave the water early!!!

Return to “Australian Natives”