Golden Perch in Yarra?

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
longbob

Golden Perch in Yarra?

Post by longbob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:57 am

I have read reports that golden perch are in the Yarra. Is this true?.
That would give the Yarra the big 3 natives - all that are missing are the silvers! :gone:

Dan01

Re: Golden Perch in Yarra?

Post by Dan01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:46 pm

I have fished the Yarra a fair bit I never caught or have heard of catches of yella s in the Yarra and if there have been catches it must be a quiet kept secret
Toxic spinnerbaits

Milk man

Post by Milk man » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:57 pm

There are certain bodies of water that contain yellow belly that are part of the yarra river catchment but I'm not sure wether or not they can make their way into the river on their own
M.I.L.F- Man I Love To Fish!

Dan01

Post by Dan01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:16 pm

I have heard of plenty river holding yella's
Toxic spinnerbaits

rixter

Post by rixter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Yep the yarra has yellas, well it did have ! , around 15 years ago when i last fished it around the Richmond area.
Not sure about nowerdays ? , but i presume there would still be some in there ?
Cheers , Rick
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:52 pm

The Yarra is a big river system , so dont be surprised what you may catch from it .

stuart rees

Post by stuart rees » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:23 pm

Caught plenty of Macca's, Cod, Redfin, Trout, Carp, Roach, Eels & a grayling
Never caught a yellowbelly in the Yarra

netmaker

Post by netmaker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:57 pm

Dan01 wrote:I have fished the Yarra a fair bit I never caught or have heard of catches of yella s in the Yarra and if there have been catches it must be a quiet kept secret
Hello Dan,i can you along with all members that back in 1990 i was living in Boronia in Melbourne,i used to fish the yarra alot.
One weekend i was fishing the river lets just say below dights falls & upstream of Richmond,i got a 3lb Yella on the Saterday,i thought i was seeing things.I went back the Sunday & got another.

I was in complete shock,i actually phoned up Charles Barnem who @ the time was doing a fishing show on 3aw with Mr Rex Hunt,the 2 of them were talking about my fortunes for around 10mins.Stating that they were not stocked in the river they put there existance down to a stocked dam flooding into the Yarra.

With my little knowledge of the Yarra back then i decided to take a shrimp net with me on the next outing,low and behold i caught crabs,lol,i was really then scratching my head until i later discovered that all water below "Dights Falls",is in fact tidal. To finalise i also got a couple in another location in the Studley park area.Although i have not fished the Yarra in the areas were i caught those Yella's,it is my honest belief that there would be still some in there.
The fish i caught were very healthy looking which does tell me in that area of the river they must be doing alright.

Cheer's Murph......
3p's will catch you fish,patients,perserverence,persistance....

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Caught a small golden perch years ago in the Warrandyte area, thought it was a macca at the start, but a closer look revealed a true golden. I have caught both species, and it was definitely a yella. Spoke to a fella who was targeting yellas at the mouth of Diamond Creek, as his mate had caught a huge yella there not long before.

Reckon someone has released them without fisheries authority, but I will be happy to catch one all the same.

Rob

muzza43
Has liked: 104 times

Post by muzza43 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:10 am

I saw a mate of my son get one about 6 inches at Griffith park Templestowe about 25 years ago. Cheers Lyall

Return to “Australian Natives”