Stocking dam with Natives

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
Drock3139

Stocking dam with Natives

Post by Drock3139 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:30 am

My friend has a large dam we have been doing a fair bit of fishing out of lately. It was stocked some years ago with yella's and it hasn't been up until recently that we've started to have a good crack at them. There are some nice sized fish in there - yella's to about 8lb so far and also plenty of reddies.
We have been thinking about putting some Murray Cod in there too just for a bit of variation, but have been getting some mixed responses as to whether it is a good or bad idea... Has anyone got any idea if this will pose a problem? Some say the cod will eventually dominate and eat everything.... Some say there will be no problems. Also, any other suggestions as to fish that will live in harmony with the yella's... Aus Bass or trout?
Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Rod Bender

Re: Stocking dam with Natives

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi,
Chances are the cod will end up dominating. If the dam has any structure in it like logs, weed beds, etc, the smaller fish can hide and this will help their chances of survival. If it is just open water then the smaller fish may have problems. As for what fish will get along with the yellas - I think any fish that will grow to about their size. I'm not sure how big the fish will be that you may stock in there but if they are small then they will be eaten by the yellas. I'm not sure where you obtain the fish from that you stock in there but I think I need to remind you that there are laws regarding translocation of fish, as in catching them in the wild then releasing them somewhere else. I learned this the hard way by suggesting someone do it with redfin!!!! Permits are required for relocating of fish if it is allowed at all.
thanks
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Drock3139

Post by Drock3139 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:58 pm

cheers jim, thanks for the advice! there is a fair bit of structure along one side, but plenty more open water... maybe the cod might not be the best idea... spewin!

malleestump

Post by malleestump » Fri May 04, 2012 2:36 pm

Like Rod Bender said some structure for the smaller fish to hide ;ie PVC Pipes are great for this type of thing.I wouldn't think you would get snagged on these as you would using say tyres or hollow logs as structure.Recycling depots would be a cheaper place to get the pipes.
If you are looking for the person to change your life.look in the mirror .Cheers gus

georged2

Post by georged2 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:45 am

Great fish tank...
Early to bed, Early to rise, Fish all day, Tell big lies

robbiefishing

Post by robbiefishing » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:16 am

Where is the dam located?? Aus Bass and Yellowbelly come from 2 different catchments and chances are the DPI will not issue you with a permit to stock them both.
If it's in the Murray/Darling catchment I would definitely put the Murray cod in there. The cod will dominate the redfin, but if you have yellowbelly to 8lb they will be pretty safe unless you stock it with cod 120cm long!!
If the cod can keep the redfin numbers down that will free up food supply allowing the yellowbelly and cod growth rates to improve.
Cod and yellowbelly occur naturally together in the waterways anyway. Unlike redfin, yellowbelly will seek refuge by hiding as much as possible in the snags and weeds, whereas redfin will cruise the waterway and put themselves on display where they can be easily seen.
If it is in the Murray Darling catchment, I would definitely put cod in there if it is big enough. If it is in a coastal catchment I would go with Bass and Trout.

Drock3139

Post by Drock3139 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks Robbie. We are in the yarra valley, a couple of hundred meters from the Yarra. We ended up putting a few rainbow trout in there a little while ago now. They are thriving. Always hungry and always entertaining. You think bass would go alright in there now? The dam is fishing really well at the moment.

mazman
Has liked: 138 times

Post by mazman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:59 am

trout should be a bit of fun i have a small dam that would get to hot for trout in summer considering stocking at the start of the cold weather and fishing out when it gets warmer.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

robbiefishing

Post by robbiefishing » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:31 pm

G'day Drock, thats awesome!! I reckon the trout should do well, and i reckon Bass would too. being a southern draining catchment you shouldnt have any trou8ble getting a permit to stock bass either i wouldnt imagine!!

Return to “Australian Natives”