WANTED! OLD RABBIT TRAPS

Hectic habbib

WANTED! OLD RABBIT TRAPS

Post by Hectic habbib » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:42 pm

hi guys i know this is not about fishing but i would like to know if anyone has some old rabbit traps and would like to sell them, i am very interested in them and would like to know if i can buy them off someone. i have tried markets and antique shops and havent had much luck, as i said if you know or would like to sell please send me a private message or reply, cheers :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob:

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: WANTED! OLD RABBIT TRAPS

Post by Boonanza » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:49 pm

I have about a dozen of them but not willing to part with them sentimental value. One still has the bottom part of the leg from a fox that got caught and he bit through it overnight. That was probably 35+ years ago I was only a kid.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Hectic habbib

Post by Hectic habbib » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Boonanza wrote:I have about a dozen of them but not willing to part with them sentimental value. One still has the bottom part of the leg from a fox that got caught and he bit through it overnight. That was probably 35+ years ago I was only a kid.
Hahaha fair enough

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:34 pm

Hectic habbib wrote:hi guys i know this is not about fishing but i would like to know if anyone has some old rabbit traps and would like to sell them, i am very interested in them and would like to know if i can buy them off someone. i have tried markets and antique shops and havent had much luck, as i said if you know or would like to sell please send me a private message or reply, cheers :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob:
I think this is common knowledge, but from http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agricultu ... hold-traps
it says:

"Serrated steel-jawed leghold traps can no longer be used to trap any animal and the sale of them is illegal*1.

*1 Traps not permitted for setting or use can be sold but only to museums or collectors. Sellers of traps are responsible for ensuring they are only selling such traps for collection purposes."

In light of this would you like to tell members what you want them for?

I used to have a number of them, not sure if they are still kicking around in one of the sheds.....What price are you offering?

Hectic habbib

Post by Hectic habbib » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Queasy wrote:
Hectic habbib wrote:hi guys i know this is not about fishing but i would like to know if anyone has some old rabbit traps and would like to sell them, i am very interested in them and would like to know if i can buy them off someone. i have tried markets and antique shops and havent had much luck, as i said if you know or would like to sell please send me a private message or reply, cheers :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob: :a_goodjob:
I think this is common knowledge, but from http://agriculture.vic.gov.au/agricultu ... hold-traps
it says:

"Serrated steel-jawed leghold traps can no longer be used to trap any animal and the sale of them is illegal*1.

*1 Traps not permitted for setting or use can be sold but only to museums or collectors. Sellers of traps are responsible for ensuring they are only selling such traps for collection purposes."

In light of this would you like to tell members what you want them for?

I used to have a number of them, not sure if they are still kicking around in one of the sheds.....What price are you offering?
Umm well it really depends on the condition I guess, if u name a price a guess we can work from there, I'm not going to use them for hunting but just saw some and thought they looked cool. If your interested we'll have to find a way to swap info

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:44 pm

I'll take a look next time I'm at the farm.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 51 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:50 pm

How times change - growing up in rural Victoria trapping rabbits and the occasional fox paid for all my fishing gear when I was a kid. I don't know about Melbourne but in Canberra you would see traps for sale sometimes at the Sunday trash and treasure markets. Occasionally we would hang up a dead rabbit in a tree hanging over the local river and go back a week later and fish below the carcase. Using small wood grubs or maggots was a sure way for a trout or redfin or two - sometimes very big ones! Am sure some of the other older members did the same thing :water:
Attachments
rabbit_trap_jw_db3642.jpg

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:03 pm

Ive got one laying around

Its pretty old

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:37 am

There are some on ebay at the moment going for reasonable prices ie around the 30 dollar mark
Paulanderson wrote:growing up in rural Victoria trapping rabbits and the occasional fox paid for all my fishing gear
Hey Paul, what about ferrets, did you have them? I can remember the old blokes having ferrets in their coat pockets.

Are, they were the days - catch a train out to the bush, the old wooden carriages with foot warmers and compartments filled with anglers and hunters going out for the day. In the evening they would all come home with people having rabbit pelts in the carriages. Probably wouldn't be allowed to do that nowadays. I would head up to Kerrisdale and the lady station master would unlock the goods shed and we would camp in it on our fishing trip! I miss those times. :(

Best Wishes

Truedogz

tracks

Post by tracks » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:26 am

Mate buy the Weekly Times and look up farm clearing sales, I go to them time to time and there is just about always heaps of rabbit traps for sale, I've seen 44gal drums of trap go for a few $'s

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”