Anglesea River

trewy2428

Anglesea River

Post by trewy2428 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:07 pm

HI guys,

I'm heading up to Anglesea in about a week. I plan to do a bit of beach fishing and hopefully take the yak out in the river. My only question is after the last problem in the river, have the bream recovered? Even if they are only small I'm happy with that. I just want to have a crack. So if anyone is from that area or has recently been there, any idea on how its going?

Thanks Jesse

Master-pro

Re: Anglesea River

Post by Master-pro » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:32 pm

I don't think they would of recovered as it wasn't long ago, you can call the tackle shop in anglesea, the fella there will tell you the situation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

biggar

Post by biggar » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:41 pm

Try to launch from point road night, its a nice calm bay and fish can be caught right through the very obvious channel, fish and dusk for best results
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:31 pm

biggar wrote:Try to launch from point road night, its a nice calm bay and fish can be caught right through the very obvious channel, fish and dusk for best results
I didnt realise there was a channel at point roadknight!! I have fished there and it always seemed like a shallowish beach with very little structure. Where is the channel if you dont mind?
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

biggar

Post by biggar » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:05 pm

The channel runs out across the beach and drops of a metre. It's right along the beach where it bends. It's really hard to explain but it's definately there. Every time I go for a swim out there i always see mullet swimming around in the channel. D you know where all the little waves crash? Because its right in front of that. Sorry for such a poor explanation

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:30 pm

trewy2428 wrote:I plan to do a bit of beach fishing and hopefully take the yak out in the river. My only question is after the last problem in the river, have the bream recovered? Even if they are only small I'm happy with that. I just want to have a crack. So if anyone is from that area or has recently been there, any idea on how its going?

Thanks Jesse
Hi Jesse,
I was in Anglesea yesterday for Xmas day as we have a holiday house there. My brother went for a walk up the river and he spoke to a number of fishos, one group said they'd been catching a lot of small bream (throwbacks) on small yabbies. I assume they meant bass yabbies. I had a look see this time last year and saw plenty of bream in the water, so I'd say they have bounced back from the fish kill a few years ago. Haven't fished the river myself in about 20 years.
Queasy.

biggar

Post by biggar » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Nah they were probabaly using freshwater yabbies. Been told by the locals that thats by far the best bait.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Queasy wrote:
trewy2428 wrote:I plan to do a bit of beach fishing and hopefully take the yak out in the river. My only question is after the last problem in the river, have the bream recovered? Even if they are only small I'm happy with that. I just want to have a crack. So if anyone is from that area or has recently been there, any idea on how its going?

Thanks Jesse
Hi Jesse,
I was in Anglesea yesterday for Xmas day as we have a holiday house there. My brother went for a walk up the river and he spoke to a number of fishos, one group said they'd been catching a lot of small bream (throwbacks) on small yabbies. I assume they meant bass yabbies. I had a look see this time last year and saw plenty of bream in the water, so I'd say they have bounced back from the fish kill a few years ago. Haven't fished the river myself in about 20 years.
Queasy.
There was a fish kill a few months ago also,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:02 pm

biggar wrote:Nah they were probabaly using freshwater yabbies. Been told by the locals that thats by far the best bait.
I see. Only way I found to get past the hoards off little bream was to use crabs, which could be collected from around the rocks at the western end of the main beach. Hadn't thought of using yabbies!

Shame about the re-occurring fish kills.

biggar

Post by biggar » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Yeah I go there every yeah and it's always fine. Seems to always happen during heavy rain

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”