Elbow Slapper - KGW & Something Bigger 070114

azkay

Elbow Slapper - KGW & Something Bigger 070114

Post by azkay » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:36 am

Put in a solid session around Great Ocean Road - Rocks.. Reporting back;

Conditions were 'suppose' to be a little better then recent times so headed that way after work.. Arrived just before 7pm (last 2 hours before sunset).

Got smashed by waves, soaked head to toe. Surf gear. My brother & I. 1 rod each, 10 foot (7000 Reel) and 12 foot (6000 Reel), out far - running sinker, double hook and full pilly tied on. & 1 lighter gear each, graphite, clean water, paternoster and chicken on circle hooks.

Intention was to leave the bigger rods in (let them sit in the current & hope) and bait fish for some Salmon on lighter gear. Couple of smaller salmon and rock cod early (all released), nothing to write home about, then the surf gear got smashed. Rod tip snapped back by the time we got to it. Only noticed the loose line as we got closer, after tightening realized it was still on. Came in comfortably although had to let him run at one stage, wasn't sure what it was and could feel the tension on the line getting a little too high for my liking. Then came out this unexpected beauty - pictured below. It took a whole pilly, a first and definitely one of the bigger ones I've got land based.. Some lemon, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, onions, garlic, etc. in the tummy and on the cooker she goes tonight hopefully. Will post photos of the dish later tonight as well..

Crabs were a problem if casts fell short. The brother sent one out a beauty on his surf a little later and the pilly got smashed on the drop, this incredible weight, not much movement though. Good gear tester although it rode the wave in towards the end. About 15 minutes later we had the shark - I believe (also pictured below). Quick couple of photos and gently released. To be honest, didn't know too much about the species so was very careful with it. I believe I had come across a few some years back at some piers on the Mornington Peninsula but not even close to this size. We don't keep fish that we have no use for. Have the 1 nice whiting for my wife & I for a feed, I'm on fish duty and she's on the salad, happy days.. Got home after 2am, up at 7.00am for work and paying the price, just can't help myself when it comes to fishing..

Sorry if any members found this post a little long, thought I'd share some details for anyone looking for a read or have intentions to head out that way..
Attachments
KGW.JPG
KGW.JPG (167.87 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Az.

azkay

Re: Elbow Slapper - KGW & Something Bigger 070114

Post by azkay » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:36 am

& the second photo..
Attachments
070114.JPG
070114.JPG (78.73 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Last edited by azkay on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Az.

TrevKing

Post by TrevKing » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:40 am

Great report! :dinner:
azkay wrote: Sorry if any members found this post a little long, thought I'd share some details for anyone looking for a read or have intentions to head out that way..
Nah definitely not too long, I enjoyed the read. :thumbsup:
2015 Goals -
-First Squid
-Trout on SP
-First Murray Cod
-Rainbow over 40cm
-Redfin over 40cm

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:43 am

:rocking_report: that's a horse of whiting
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:46 am

and the other is a Port Jackson shark. Pretty common bycatch in PPB if you fish down towards the heads.

Great whiting though!

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 am

mazman wrote::rocking_report: that's a horse of whiting
x2 , awesome !.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Huckleberry

Post by Huckleberry » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:27 pm

That looks like a Port Jackson shark - they're not edible as far as I know. Putting them back in the water is the best option.

azkay

Post by azkay » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:28 pm

Huckleberry wrote:That looks like a Port Jackson shark - they're not edible as far as I know. Putting them back in the water is the best option.
Went straight back in after a few quick snaps :) Did notice a pair of nasty barbs on its back too..
Az.

foggybottom

Post by foggybottom » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Port Jackson sharks are edible, just not the nicest. I've eaten them a couple of times when I've had nothing nicer get hooked, they just need to be bled and chilled then are best eaten in something like a curry or deep fried as flake.

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:52 pm

good read! and a big whiting

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”