Corio bay netting

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Corio bay netting

Post by bowl » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Friends of Corio bay action group "
One of our members sent this photo in to us. They live along a secluded area of shoreline of Corio bay that has been heavily netting for the past 20 years. They too are shocked as to what they have seen in their back yard with the bay beach haul sein netting practises.They tell us stories of many dead undersize fish that have washed up, and of the netting that has been going on night after night. One day this bronze whaler is what they found. Looks like its been hacked to death. Recreational fishermen catch and kill sharks too but this would have made a good feed and would have been taken or released with care to stay alive. Why just kill this shark for the sake of killing it? Whiting is mainly what the pros are after in this area. Shark to them is only 5 to $8 kg. King George Whiting is worth 20 to $30 kg to them and most go to Sydney.Greed with easy bay pickings takes over when you can haul everything in from the wild from up to 2km out X 460m wide net to 90cm depth of water in a bay and choose whats better value. Why are professional fishermen allowed to haul and scrape every thing in, effect kms of natural bay ecology, and decide and influence what lives and dies in a bay using nets?"
image.jpg
image.jpg (82.54 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Kev209

Re: Corio bay netting

Post by Kev209 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:26 pm

I can remember friends of my father telling us stories about this 30 years ago. Why is it still happening, and why can't fisheries do something about what is going on.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Could that be damage from an outboard?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:33 pm

Basti wrote:Could that be damage from an outboard?
Yeah I am not 100% on how or who would do that.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Need-to-fish

Post by Need-to-fish » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:14 pm

I am no expert but that looks like a boat strike. I have read similar gripes about commercial fishing , and it can turn nasty.
But i suppose we should keep in mind, as recos we have a love for fishing and fish, and commercial fishermen are doing it for a living, and cop a lot of flak from a lot of area's . I am not saying what is right or in the wrong just putting in my 2 cents.

lemonbuttersauce

Post by lemonbuttersauce » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:01 am

Why not just ban net fishing in any coastal areas in any bay and within 5km from shore.
Or just ban it all together and make people catch fish with line and ral, have hundreds more licenses and let regular joes have a go at fishing as a career, without leaving mass destruction behind.

Catch rates go way down, price of fish goes up. Fish become sustainable again and the environment and fisho are happy,

People not happy are consumers and rich as hell commercial fishos.

Consumers will get used to it knowing that the current prices are unsustainable anyway and this happens or we end up with no fish at all and commercial guys can downgrade and make a nice living doing what they love (and not to get rich).

My 2 cents anyway...

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:19 am

May have been cut out of a net ?, cutting the net and the shark, hit by a prop on a boat, or even the work of an 'anti' shark fisherman ? , who knows .

As far as Commercial Fishermen using and abusing netting rules in the industry, it has happened for years , and will continue to happen sadly.

These guys are making a living ( feeding the family ) from money made from fishing. Anything getting in their way of bringing home an income can cause problems, just like in any job for anyone ! .

I don't condone the actions of the 'rule abusing' trawlers, but at the end of the day, what can you do ?, they pay high licence fees to fish the waters, and expect to get what they pay for. The government backs them 100%, a good tax income for them !.

Once your fishing for a living to make ends meat, for the pro's, a lot of the good old practices go out the window for some; unfortunately .

It's those high prices they pay to fish the waters as a profession that allow them to get away with a lot of stuff, this government will bend over backwards and ignore anything/wrong doing so long as there is good profit coming from it .

A good example of the government is in it for the money only is : A while back around Lakes Entrance during holidays, there was a bunch of 'overseas tourists' fishing the area and taking many undersize fish, and they knew they were undersize !.
I rang DEPI to complain, they came out but let them all off with just a warning. The bloke from DEPI even said they have to sort of turn a blind eye to 'certain overseas' tourists breaking the law in Lakes Entrance, as they are the main income for the area during the holiday seasons, pathetic excuse imo. So there you go, money talks first !.

A very sad picture to see !, although not much nothing new in this sad messed up world we live in these days where 'money talks' first :cry:

Cheers , Rick.
Last edited by rixter on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:11 am

bowl wrote:Friends of Corio bay action group "
One of our members sent this photo in to us. They live along a secluded area of shoreline of Corio bay that has been heavily netting for the past 20 years. They too are shocked as to what they have seen in their back yard with the bay beach haul sein netting practises.They tell us stories of many dead undersize fish that have washed up, and of the netting that has been going on night after night. One day this bronze whaler is what they found. Looks like its been hacked to death. Recreational fishermen catch and kill sharks too but this would have made a good feed and would have been taken or released with care to stay alive. Why just kill this shark for the sake of killing it? Whiting is mainly what the pros are after in this area. Shark to them is only 5 to $8 kg. King George Whiting is worth 20 to $30 kg to them and most go to Sydney.Greed with easy bay pickings takes over when you can haul everything in from the wild from up to 2km out X 460m wide net to 90cm depth of water in a bay and choose whats better value. Why are professional fishermen allowed to haul and scrape every thing in, effect kms of natural bay ecology, and decide and influence what lives and dies in a bay using nets?"
image.jpg
This is disgraceful. The Friends of Corio bay action group is doing nothing but harm to all fisherman and continue to embarrass themselves.

The pros keep sharks as they are worth good money to them.

The comments of fish value per kilo to the fishermen are nothing short of lies.

The damage to the shark looks like a prop strike but there is no way of knowing FOCBAG claims of "been hacked to death" is unfounded.

Master Baiter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Master Baiter » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:33 am

When I was in my teens we use to net all around Corio bay, Barwon heads Swan bay etc as it was not illegal to use nets then. In an hour you would have a feed of mixed fish for a couple of family's at any venue. Netting today would be very profitable I reckon for the illegal netters. By the way way when it was legal the netters usually were family's with respect for the fishing I could not say the same for some Rod and reel fisherman as I have seen over a hundred Whiting taken by rod and reel at Barwon heads in an hour and at times 15 Crayfish or more taken.
Wally
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:03 pm

frozenpod wrote:
bowl wrote:Friends of Corio bay action group "
image.jpg
This is disgraceful. The Friends of Corio bay action group is doing nothing but harm to all fisherman and continue to embarrass themselves.

The pros keep sharks as they are worth good money to them.

The comments of fish value per kilo to the fishermen are nothing short of lies.

The damage to the shark looks like a prop strike but there is no way of knowing FOCBAG claims of "been hacked to death" is unfounded.

Spot on Frozenpod. This story has nothing to do with Profishers. it is prop strike. Pro fishers would not leave a shark there , they have no time to "hack to death" a shark and no reason too.. Very few profishers are rich. They do not get 20-30 dollars a KG for any type of fish. last but by no means least. The resource is owned by Australians and all Australians should be able to buy a feed of fish if they choose. So how would we get fish from our waters to a market. By having a professional licence and catchers. The licencing and quotas are VERY tightly controlled. The majority of fish caught in our coastal waters bays and inlets are caught by anglers. Look up the figures. Profishing is a rapidly declining industry as there is very little money in it these days. If you want to get rid of them, you only have to wait. No young guys are investing in it any more.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Return to “Geelong, The Great Ocean Road and the Bellarine Peninsula Fishing Reports”