Clifton springs struggle

Cunningham Pier, Limeburners Lagoon
KgWhiting

Clifton springs struggle

Post by KgWhiting » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Hi all, Been fishing Clifton springs lately for snapper done 4 trips in the last three weeks and been finding the fishing very quiet. Got 4 one trip but apart from that just donuts and little pinkies. How’s everyone’s else’s season going? Seems to be quiet talking to most fishos back at the ramp

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Clifton springs struggle

Post by bowl » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi.
Last two trips caught Yakka,kgw n fkatties in 4 Meters.

Couldn't try for reds as two windy..
Have sound Avalon side of bay.
Reports off pt Henry to.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Gozzy63
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Gozzy63 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:05 pm

SAME HERE, VERY QUIET.
Been finding everyone at ramps saying same. Ive been trying to get into the fishing here in Geelong over past year and to be honest, Im a little concerned. I came back here after 12 years in Tassie and let me tell you, two different worlds.
Ive mostly found here undersized fish and sparce at that.
If anyone else here gets regular good results id love to hear!

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:06 pm

It's been an unusual season and we've had some unusual weather. Spring came and went without bringing warmer weather and we're 2/3 through December and it's only heating up now. The strong winds kept things deep despite the warmer water. The late spring/summer seems to have pushed everything behind a few months.

This should be peak spawning season for multiple species, but they're seemingly quiet at the moment. Hopefully between now and January everything picks up, will be interesting to see next-year the effects on this-years unusual weather.

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:21 am

I agree Andrews. A friend and I were having a discussion trying to sum up this seasons snapper season. Obviously its been tough going but I don't think it would be fair to call it poor just yet. Yes the fish have been far and few but the biggest obvious factor for this is the weather. Not only are water tempts down but before last week it was a total blow out for 10 days, no one could even get on the water. I just started doing well when the wind and shitty weather came back... GGRR!!

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:53 pm

You're right about the weather, if it's not blowing border-line gale winds it's been a cold overcast southerly.
I think that this season, though delayed due to weather will be a plentiful season.

We've had a bumper year for squid spawns, and I think they're a great seasonal indicator species being high in numbers and a short breeding season. They pushed deep during the windy cooler days and are actively being caught all around the bay. There’s plenty of food between them and the large schools of sardines pushing into the southern end of the bay so hopefully in the new year we'll see plenty more reports of large species being caught all around.

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Try Griffin Gully pier. It produces good fish time to time. I haven't been for a while . I have caught 42 cm Whiting,good size Squid and Flathead ,not to mention big fat Garfish from there.

Return to “Geelong - Corio Bay”