gummy fishing

Cunningham Pier, Limeburners Lagoon
chrisothegoat

gummy fishing

Post by chrisothegoat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:57 pm

can someone give me some tips on catching gummys from land? I’ve picked up a 2500 1-3 kg rod, just using 30pound leader with braid main, so I think my gear should be good enough for the gummy’s around Geelong. But as far as baits go or lures as well as times and tides i havent got a clue, so whatever help anyone can offer would be great

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Re: gummy fishing

Post by ducky » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:05 pm

I think you’re a little undercooked in terms of rod/reel size.

For me, fresh flesh baits are king for gummies. But prawns also do the job in terms of frozen baits. Not sure if they’d produce in geelong but I reckon they would.

Id be looking at a 9-12’ 6-10kg Rod. 6000 reel. 30lb braid. 40lb shock leader. 60lb leader. 7/0 circle hook.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:13 pm

As ducky said
The gear you have great for whiting bream gars flattys squid and pinkies to name some

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:16 pm

Not saying you wont get a Gummy on that setup, but its a bit like bringing a knife to a gun fight....eel cutlet has always worked a treat for me

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:34 pm

What Ducky said.
I've caught gummies on lighter gear from a boat, but landbased, you're going to have to piff decent sized baits, usually a fair distance, and to do that, you want a set up to match. Squid rings and heads, fresh salmon chunks, banana prawns, I've caught gummies on all of them, I don't reckon they're particularly fussy eaters tbh.
A single 8/0 gama circle hook works aa treat, and if you're landbased, I'd suggest a pulley rig.

chrisothegoat

Post by chrisothegoat » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:35 pm

You’re kidding not even close gear wise. Far out... I caught a gummy on accident a few months back, wasn’t quite big enough to keep so it got tossed back. Ever since then I’ve been trying to catch another and with no luck. Cheers for the tips lads will keep at it 👍🏻

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:20 pm

You have good rod n reel setup for collecting gars ,squid , mullet for bait ect

Bcf Geelong/corio did have some ugly sticks for 50 bucks 12ft.....was a while back .......
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:16 pm

chrisothegoat wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:35 pm
You’re kidding not even close gear wise. Far out... I caught a gummy on accident a few months back, wasn’t quite big enough to keep so it got tossed back. Ever since then I’ve been trying to catch another and with no luck. Cheers for the tips lads will keep at it 👍🏻
Small gummies would be fine on that gear, good fun in fact... but anything even 3 foot or over is going to absolutely smoke you lol

Ducky’s advice is spot on. The only thing I will highlight is the hook shape and size. I wouldn’t bother with anything other than circles. Bigger the better I find. I have no problems hooking even small gummies on 8.0’s

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Agreed Kimtown. On the boat I generally upgrade everything next size up from what I said.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:19 pm

Everyone’s said this already but that light rod won’t be able to handle a gummie the first thing I would do is upsize that rod before it breaks

Return to “Geelong - Corio Bay”