St Leonards Calamari 12/10/2020

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

St Leonards Calamari 12/10/2020

Post by Andrews » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:19 pm

Hey Everyone,

I'm back out again chasing the land based calamari, it was a pretty average day chasing the squid and the weather made it unbearably hot.
Fishing the afternoon, parly cloud turning into clear skies on a clear run out tide, light NE dropping to glass out. Zero wind sucks for squidding.

Squid #1, I went with my favourite olive/rainbow foil jig as the clouds overhead darked the conditions and that darker silhouette with the reflective body makes all the difference.
IMG_6573.JPEG
Squid #2, same jig and this one struck pretty far out from the pier, a nice high 20s hood squid.
IMG_6576.JPEG
IMG_6578.JPEG
Squid #3, conditions changed and the wind dropped as the clouds moved on. Bright conditions with crystal clear water.
Didn't take any photos as this was given away.

Squid #4, this one really caught me surprise. I saw this squid like silhouette moving through the water but it had this white blob on it, casting my jig the squid came racing towards the jig before getting caught! I've never seen such a battle worn squid, it had one chunk missing out the back and a few smaller circular bites along it's sides. I know they bite each other during breeding but dam!
IMG_6583.JPEG
IMG_6584.JPEG
Ended up with four squid, after yesterdays 5 chunky calamari I gave away three to a local who couldn't seem to land any. Twice she hooked up but both times bounced the squid causing them fall out right at the pier before I could bring the net over.

I'll be out again tomorrow after a half day at work.
IMG_6586.JPEG
IMG_6592.JPEG
Last edited by Andrews on Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: St Leonards

Post by Nude up » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:35 pm

Nice work on the squid I went to queenscliff for lunch with my wife the water there was very murky 1 bloke fishing for squid but he was having no luck. I did see a monster trevally in the marina though.

Andrews

Re: St Leonards Calamari 12/10/2020

Post by Andrews » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:12 pm

Thanks Nude Up!
That's really interesting, I would have picked Queenscliff as being clear with the winds the past few days!
We had the same, silver trevally schooling under the pier but they became spooked pretty quickly when someone started trying to 'snag' them with soft plastics and then squid jigs..
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:53 pm

Nice. make the most of the good times before the metro folks end up there soon.

trevally are great fun on soft plastics, have a plastic ready next time and try catching one of them when they are around, they are a hoot specially the big ones.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:17 pm

Nice work once again mate!
You’re a squid machine!!!
Cheers 👍🏻

Mollydog

Post by Mollydog » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:40 pm

Great posts. Full of good information and great photos. Keep it up.

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:07 pm

haha! I'm preparing for all the squid this side of the bay migrating to Melbourne freezers!

Thanks Lightningx and Mollydog, I'm glad that I'm able to share my experience catching them land-based! It's great to see and reminds people that all you need is a rod, a jig and some patience and you can get yourself some fresh local calamari.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”