St Leonnards Snapper

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
karlws

St Leonnards Snapper

Post by karlws » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi i have retired and moved to St. Leonards and i am now looking to catch some snapper. I fished the area for whiting but would like to try for snapper. However i am unsure where to start i have thought of running across the bay to Mornington, but would preferably like to stay local. I would appreciate some hints on where to start locally. I'm not looking for anyones spots, i want to cultivate my own but need to know where to start thanks Karl

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Re: St Leonnards Snapper

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:48 pm

karlws wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:43 pm
Hi i have retired and moved to St. Leonards and i am now looking to catch some snapper. I fished the area for whiting but would like to try for snapper. However i am unsure where to start i have thought of running across the bay to Mornington, but would preferably like to stay local. I would appreciate some hints on where to start locally. I'm not looking for anyones spots, i want to cultivate my own but need to know where to start thanks Karl
Portalington

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 pm

There's a few rubbly reefs around Kirks Point that have them (I assume you have a boat). Otherwise you could just anchor up in the shipping channel north of Clifton Springs like all the other nuffies this time of year.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:34 pm

My advice would be to punch out beyond the whiting grounds, and as the bottom drops away, sound away. Your sounder is your best friend when it comes to snapper. It can also tell you where the weedy/reefy bottom is, where the drop-offs are, which are good points of structure if no arches can be found. If you have a gps, mark these areas as you go. There may be nothing at this spot today, but next week may be different. A "snapper spot", is only a productive spot at a certain time of year, at a certain water temp range, and possibly during certain tides or times of the day, and can be bait specific, to name a few variances. You will have lots of fun learning your local area.
Tip: Much like Portarlington, St Leonards also fishes well in close during/after a heavy northerly blow.
Bait: Some fresh squid and ting (or maybe just the heads) and a block of pillies, and you're in with a good chance.
Coles channel used to have a good name as a good gummy producer. Is this still the case?

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:07 pm

4liters wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:51 pm
There's a few rubbly reefs around Kirks Point that have them (I assume you have a boat). Otherwise you could just anchor up in the shipping channel north of Clifton Springs like all the other nuffies this time of year.
Wilson Spit area is more productive than Kirks I reckon dude. Kirks is more of a grazing paddock where they go as quick as they come, whereas Wilson Spit is fish holding structure. (Actually, I have heard of a few fish being marked up in the area over the last month, but unwilling to feed).
The area north of Clifty you refer to is Pt Richards. The bend is another popular area. Give it another 3-4 wks and the "silly season" will be upon us once again... :wt:

KgWhiting

Post by KgWhiting » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:47 pm

Snapper fishing best of st Leonard’s after Xmas when bay water temps rise fish are out deep 20m plus. This time of year and next few months better of fishing Clifton springs/outer harbour area. That area gets very busy during October/November stay away from the boats sound up find your own fish. I sound up sit on the fish for an hour or so and if no good move to try find feeding fish. Squid pilchards silver whiting all good baits

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Out past west channel marker and sound around also gummies in that area in season

karlws

Post by karlws » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks all your advice is greatly appreciated

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:35 pm

I fish a lot out of point Richards the spoil grounds the Avalon side of the channel and steam packet channel are productive although you will have to get out early to get a spot. I prefer to avoid crowds and find my own fish than encroach on others. If you do get on to some drop your rod if a boat comes close or soon you will be engulfed in a mob of seagull boat owners.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”