St Leonards 28/9/2019

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

St Leonards 28/9/2019

Post by Robbie1950 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:01 am

After reading various reports of fat tings being caught at Lenny’s a friend and myself decided to head out on Saturday morning to give them a crack. We didn’t expect to catch like previously in winter big numbers but rather bigger sizes. And as always, we had the backup plan of chasing some squid if the ting’s didn’t come out to play.

We hit the water 7.30am on the change of tide and parked up on various marks from previous successful trips. 1 spot, 2 spot, 3 spot, 4 spot with no tings. After a couple of hours we even done the desperate move of parking smack bang in ‘the middle of the pack’. This was more to see who was catching what and from what I could see no one was catching anything. Literally! The most annoying thing of all was the amount of weed that’s in the water. It was a constant battle to keep the lines nice and free of crap.

After a couple of hours we gave up and hit the squid grounds. As usual it wasn’t hard to land our 15 squid, the one in the photo being the biggest.

Nevertheless, a nice morning out with some nice squid for the freezer. The biggest problem is now deciding to eat them or use them as bait for snapper season! :wt:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: St Leonards 28/9/2019

Post by Lightningx » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:37 pm

Not a bad morning on the water mate :)
Great bag of squid!
You should keep some for a feed and use some for fresh snapper baits as well. Or keep them for a feed and just use the heads for bait.
Nice report and pic :)
Cheers :tu:

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:28 pm

Robbie1950 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:01 am
After reading various reports of fat tings being caught at Lenny’s a friend and myself decided to head out on Saturday morning to give them a crack. We didn’t expect to catch like previously in winter big numbers but rather bigger sizes. And as always, we had the backup plan of chasing some squid if the ting’s didn’t come out to play.

We hit the water 7.30am on the change of tide and parked up on various marks from previous successful trips. 1 spot, 2 spot, 3 spot, 4 spot with no tings. After a couple of hours we even done the desperate move of parking smack bang in ‘the middle of the pack’. This was more to see who was catching what and from what I could see no one was catching anything. Literally! The most annoying thing of all was the amount of weed that’s in the water. It was a constant battle to keep the lines nice and free of crap.

After a couple of hours we gave up and hit the squid grounds. As usual it wasn’t hard to land our 15 squid, the one in the photo being the biggest.

Nevertheless, a nice morning out with some nice squid for the freezer. The biggest problem is now deciding to eat them or use them as bait for snapper season! :wt:

use them for bait mate, I heard on fishing app there is 68cm snapper and school around William town just being caught today. Many thing is in my favour on Monday. They coming fast on the move, give it a shot at altona some people bagout pinkie

Robbie1950

Post by Robbie1950 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:38 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:28 pm
Robbie1950 wrote:

use them for bait mate, I heard on fishing app there is 68cm snapper and school around William town just being caught today. Many thing is in my favour on Monday. They coming fast on the move, give it a shot at altona some people bagout pinkie
I think I'm with Lightning on this one, heads for bait and tubes to eat. Im busting to get onto a big red :sr:

Jasonfish1234
Has liked: 234 times

Post by Jasonfish1234 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:00 pm

Robbie1950 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:38 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Robbie1950 wrote:

I think I'm with Lightning on this one, heads for bait and tubes to eat. Im busting to get onto a big red :sr:
The tube if cut them in ring and use as bait it dynamic bait mate, Brendan wing from Ufishtv use it with double gama octopus hook on Jewfish and snapper, end up the big red and big knobby and great silver ghost mate.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:11 pm

I was out around st l.eonards yesterday as well
Put the tub in at werribee and shot across first stop indented head for squid nothing there then near st.leonards pier and got 2 40cm hood squid there the tide started to run out so went to whiting area
Got 3 squid there in 6m deep around 25cm hood then chucked out the whiting baits
Bites straight away but all small fish threw most back kept 3 that were 32-33cm we dont keep anything under 30cm
Then the wind came up around 10kn pushing against current causing the boat to move all over snagging lines so pulled the pin and headed back around 5.45
At least a few more squid heads for bait

Robbie1950

Post by Robbie1950 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:09 pm

fishnut wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:11 pm
I was out around st l.eonards yesterday as well
Put the tub in at werribee and shot across first stop indented head for squid nothing there then near st.leonards pier and got 2 40cm hood squid there the tide started to run out so went to whiting area
Got 3 squid there in 6m deep around 25cm hood then chucked out the whiting baits
Bites straight away but all small fish threw most back kept 3 that were 32-33cm we dont keep anything under 30cm
Then the wind came up around 10kn pushing against current causing the boat to move all over snagging lines so pulled the pin and headed back around 5.45
At least a few more squid heads for bait
We were at the stick in front of the pier and also caught a couple squid although most of ours were caught at the front of Indented Head.

Geeze mate you must have a monster boat if your driving from Werribee south to St Leonards. How long does it take you one way?

Robbie1950

Post by Robbie1950 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:12 pm

Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:00 pm
Robbie1950 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:38 pm
Jasonfish1234 wrote:
Robbie1950 wrote:

The tube if cut them in ring and use as bait it dynamic bait mate, Brendan wing from Ufishtv use it with double gama octopus hook on Jewfish and snapper, end up the big red and big knobby and great silver ghost mate.

I watched one of Brendans videos recently where he uses strips of squid on a snell setup. He smashed a 20 pounder on one of those baits.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Hey Robbie 1950 i have a 5m quintrex with a 70hp on back
Yesterday with a 10kn chop took me 40mins to get there and about the same to get back
Its around 25ks from werribee

Robbie1950

Post by Robbie1950 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:47 pm

fishnut wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:52 pm
Hey Robbie 1950 i have a 5m quintrex with a 70hp on back
Yesterday with a 10kn chop took me 40mins to get there and about the same to get back
Its around 25ks from werribee
I’m actually shocked, in a nice way. I’ve fished off Werribee south and always wondered how long it would take because Port Arlington doesn’t look that far. Nice to know.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”