Snapper and gummy Point Wilson

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Ryguy
Has liked: 13 times

Snapper and gummy Point Wilson

Post by Ryguy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:24 am

Got out in the bay for the first time in a long time on the 21st at 10am. Launched out of Clifton Springs and got on to a few small squid just out front pretty quickly with old faith full gold top and dark bottom jig. Only had a few hours as I had my greenhorns on board so just decided to go straight to point wilson close to the spit. Got the burley going and 4 running sinker rigs out with 5/0 kl black magic hooks and fresh squid. Caught a few gummies under and just size catch and release. Lots of small pinkie around smashing my baits then finally a decent run, managed to get a nice snapper on deck for the boys and a good fresh bbq feed.
Ive been fishing out of Barwon Heads and for the past 2+ weeks the snapper have been going off. Most certainly the run has started. Seals have been playing with them so they are thick.
Attachments
IMG_1703.jpeg

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Snapper and gummy Point Wilson

Post by canned_tuna » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:50 am

Well done on the snaps and fantastic for the young blokes to be out there with you learning the trade at such a young age

KgWhiting

Post by KgWhiting » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:08 pm

Ryguy wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:24 am
Got out in the bay for the first time in a long time on the 21st at 10am. Launched out of Clifton Springs and got on to a few small squid just out front pretty quickly with old faith full gold top and dark bottom jig. Only had a few hours as I had my greenhorns on board so just decided to go straight to point wilson close to the spit. Got the burley going and 4 running sinker rigs out with 5/0 kl black magic hooks and fresh squid. Caught a few gummies under and just size catch and release. Lots of small pinkie around smashing my baits then finally a decent run, managed to get a nice snapper on deck for the boys and a good fresh bbq feed.
Ive been fishing out of Barwon Heads and for the past 2+ weeks the snapper have been going off. Most certainly the run has started. Seals have been playing with them so they are thick.
Good going that better than what I’ve done of Clifton lately. What depth are u finding the snapper in of Barwon heads heading out there next week if the weather allows

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:05 pm

Looks like a nice snapper mate!
Good to see the young ones out with you :)
Cheers :tu:

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:57 pm

Great snapper mate
Well done

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:06 pm

Love ya work Ryguy, in everyway. Great to see the kids getting their sea legs :tu:

Ryguy 1.PNG

Um, BBQ feed you say :-D , , , ,

Cheers, Bugatti, who loves BBQ Snapper (and dropping hints :-D )

Ryguy
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Ryguy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:44 am

KgWhiting wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:08 pm
Ryguy wrote:
Good going that better than what I’ve done of Clifton lately. What depth are u finding the snapper in of Barwon heads heading out there next week if the weather allows
Ive had some good fishing above Charlemont reef in 15-20m along with drop offs out past Chimney rock 20-25m then. Slimy macks have been getting easier to catch for bait just burlying on the drift out past 30m. Then heaps of good fish in 40m before the wreck 38 20.716s 144 29.218e no secret!

KgWhiting

Post by KgWhiting » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Ryguy wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:44 am
KgWhiting wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:08 pm
Ryguy wrote:
Ive had some good fishing above Charlemont reef in 15-20m along with drop offs out past Chimney rock 20-25m then. Slimy macks have been getting easier to catch for bait just burlying on the drift out past 30m. Then heaps of good fish in 40m before the wreck 38 20.716s 144 29.218e no secret!
Thanks for that mate very generous will let u know how I go

Gozzy63
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Gozzy63 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:01 pm

How’d you go?

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”