St Leonard's Report 12/12/2019

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

St Leonard's Report 12/12/2019

Post by Andrews » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:21 am

Hey Everyone,

Reporting on all the action at St Leonards in the first third of December.
Squid are still actively being caught though they have decreased in numbers and are smaller in size.
Evenings seem to be outperforming mornings and the constant winds have pushed the squid deeper and further out.

Pinkies, whiting and leather jackets are still being caught, whiting being the most active recently.

Thursday 5/12/2019, overcast evening, moderate W winds with a high clarity rising tide.
Squid were quiet, the occasional single or double caught every hour. Ended up with 3 squid, while I saw another 4 caught.

Tuesday 10/12/2019, overcast evening, moderate S winds on high clarity dropping tide.
Squid were pushing deep and further out and really didn't get too active until around 6PM. Only caught two decent sized squid before calling it a night, the people alongside me also landed about 3-4 each.

Wednesday 11/12/2019, overcast evening, moderate S winds on a high clarity dropping tide.
The netters had been through the night before and the amount of weed on the surface took all day to settle. Squid again were pushing deep facing into the current and my favourite spot once again rewarded me. Landed 5 squid in three hours, two larger and three smaller. All were further out and sitting deep.

Local couple alongside me were on fire, landing about 4 each in a matter of minutes. I was lucky to pick up two from the fringe of the squad. Local Old fella mentioned he only caught 10 squid last month despite being here every few days and yesterday was his night, he landed 3 on the float and another two on his rod. He's already broken double digits this month and he couldn't stop smiling all night. Other locals landed about 1-2 each, a couple didn't catch any. The squid seemed to focus this single spot which they often, thankfully my favourite spot pulled through.

Two nice sized pinkies were landed and another undersized, one real nice leatherjacket and thats about it.

Fingers crossed the winds die down Friday (as predicted) and summer actually happens.
Goodluck all with the fishing, enjoy another photogenic squid.
Attachments
IMG_4055.jpg

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: St Leonard's Report 12/12/2019

Post by hornet » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:49 pm

:gj: :wt:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times